PDA

View Full Version : GOT SNAILS?

SGypsyMermaid
10-07-2002, 07:21 PM
some snail crushers: neolamprologus sexfasciatus, neolamprologus tetracanthus, astatoreochromis alluadi, labrochromis ishmaeli...

labidochromis are 'winklers'--they don't crush the snails, they snatch them out of their shells with a swift jerking motion(very cool to watch them stalking a snail, head down and motionless)...

reportedly, most of the synos from lake tanganyika are snail-eaters...

slc,phenochilus
10-17-2003, 11:27 AM
thanks for the info I've been looking alot for a list of some fish that eat snails. good job, would you say that these fish also eat the mts or malaysion trumpet snail, the one who squirts oub babies like crazy and only comes out at night and lives beneath the subtrate, I have a loach but he does not touch them.

SGypsyMermaid
10-17-2003, 02:40 PM
if you have roughnecks in your tank, melanochromis exasperatus aka labidochromis exasperatus will decimate your malaysian livebearer population--they are very efficient winklers!

slc,phenochilus
10-23-2003, 01:14 PM
I knew I could count on you thanks!

SGypsyMermaid
10-23-2003, 01:26 PM
:wink:

matt1066
12-27-2003, 05:18 PM
I have never kept snails with my africans, does anybody think its a good idea? Will it help with tank cleanliness? Algae is not a problem.

I am thinking it might help clean some detritus up, or will it just add to it?

I have small river gravel as a substrate, I have been wining about switching to a sand substrate for a year now, but I will get to it

Thanks,

Matthew:rolleyes:

SGypsyMermaid
12-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by matt1066
I have never kept snails with my africans, does anybody think its a good idea? Will it help with tank cleanliness? Algae is not a problem.

I am thinking it might help clean some detritus up, or will it just add to it?

I have small river gravel as a substrate, I have been wining about switching to a sand substrate for a year now, but I will get to it

Thanks,

Matthew:rolleyes:

i can't vacuum in most of my tanks because they are huge rock piles--but all of my tanks are colonized by trumpet/malaysian live-bearing snails which pick up bits of uneaten food and burrow through the substrate, keeping it aerated. the trouble is, they multiply like rabbits, so i try to keep some snail-eaters in the tanks. the shells of these snails are very hard, and they usually stay buried in the substrate during the daytime, so the snail-eaters have to be really dedicated.

SGypsyMermaid
12-27-2003, 05:43 PM
for some reason, if the sand is fine, the snails don't burrow, so they are only useful in a coarse sand or gravel substrate.

matt1066
12-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks, I'll take a pass on the snails.

Matt

SGypsyMermaid
10-10-2005, 05:52 PM
http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4789&highlight=raphael+snail