PDA

View Full Version : Glass Top Solution

ercnan
02-25-2007, 09:09 AM
I've tried a new solution to the old issue of water deposits on glass tops.
A couple months ago, I decided my glass tops were looking kinda of ragged after 2 years. No amount of cleaning would get them "clean". I've tried the most common solutions, i.e. CLR,Lime Away,Vinegar and water,various other "miracle" products on the market,and even steel wool, but nothing ever completely got rid of the deposits.
So, a quick call to the local glass shop, an hour and thiry bucks later, I had new panels for my tops.
Laid said panels out on a bath towel on the dining room table, cleaned well with rubbing alcohol first, then vinegar and water solution, and finally three "coats" of Rain-X.
If you don't recognize the name, it's a car care product made for auto glass. They also make an "Anti-Fog" version, but I just used the original.
The stuff beads water like the proverbial duck's back, and I've used it for years on my vehicles with excellent results.
I figured it should work as well in this application, and if it turns out badly, what the hey, another trip to the glass shop probably won't hurt their feelings any.
At any rate, two months later, and on cleaning day I just wipe them down with a damp paper towel, and they look new again.
Time will tell how well this is going to work, but so far, the results have been very good.
I intend to re-apply it every three months or so depending.
On a vehicle, it needs to be re-applied every so often because of the wipers,sun,etc., so it should last longer in this case.
Just apply per directions and watch the condensation bead up and drip back in the tank. Any deposits left behind can be wiped away easily instead of having to be scrubbed (so far anyway)
And by the way, no adverse reactions from the tank either, just make sure the panels are completely dry before putting back over the tank.
E

cichgirl
02-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Interesting tip. Keep us posted on how the fish do. Is that on your 125? What is your water change schedule?

RustyNut
02-25-2007, 10:33 AM
I am leery of contamination from the Rain-x surface dripping back into the tank.... you may have a problem with a toxicity build over time.

cichgirl
02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
That's what I was wondering... It's an oil, right?

DogWalker
02-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Same concern. It may or may not be serious enough to do any long term harm but I wouldn't chance it.

ercnan
02-25-2007, 05:46 PM
cichgirl, Yes it's on the 125.
It's not an oil, but basically a spray on/wipe on silicone type of protectant.
Right now my WC sched. is 50g every other week with a gravel vac.
On the off weeks, I clean the filters.
I used to do everything every week, but I've whittled down my stock quite a bit, and set up a couple 29g's to have brooding/fry tanks.