PDA

View Full Version : Attaching rocks and plants

fjaff
08-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Hello

I am just about setting up my tank. I have bought several rocks for the tank, I think they are lava rocks. they look similar to a reef. I need the rocks to build up right up to the top of the tank (20"), but they keep of tumbling off. Is there a way in which you can get the rocks to stabilize. I heard from someone that you can use silicon. I dont have a clue how to do that because it takes like a day or two to set.

Also I have seen in other peoples tanks, they have plants sticking out of their rockwork. How do they stick them onto rocks? String? Elastic band? Silicone? or do they just stuff them underneath rocks?

jonah
08-07-2003, 03:09 PM
You can use silcone to attach the rock. It takes a day to cure. There's also some adhesives that cure underwater that are safe for fish. Looks like a sort of putty, but I can't remember what the brand is right now.

Some plants like anubias and java fern will attach to rocks after awhile. They have to be tied or banded to the rock until their roots grab hold.

fishmommy
08-25-2003, 07:33 PM
a good way to attach plants to rocks is to use thread. Pick a color that won't show too much. The thread will rot away over time, but the roots should take hold before that happens.

I would recommend waiting 3-5 days before placing silicone into the water. There is a product that claims it can be used right in the tank underwater - I've not used it though.