PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
KH = 3
GH = 7
Clorine = 0.05
Iron = 0.05
c02 = 2

Aquarium has been running for 36 hrs now. And im not sure if i should start cycling it now. I will be stocking the tank with Mbuna. I think i need to get the water up to spec's first before cycling? If so my KH and GH levels are a bit low, from what i have been reading in books. I was thinking of using crushed coral in the Emp 400 media container's. Witch lead me to this question on something i read also. the filter cartidge with the activated carbon
do i leave them in the Emp or take them out in a few days, maybe a week? In the past i have never taken them out. but this books says they only last few days maybe weeks. and if i take them out I could get 2 more media containers and use some sort of sponge filter in them along with the other 2 with crushed coral, good idea or not?

the Ammonia and Nitrite reading will be watched when i cycle the tank. as for the other reading i have no idea if there something i have to watch also?

TIA

RustyNut
02-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Most people here no longer use carbon in thier filters and have done as you've suggested with good success

cichgirl
02-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Are you using a water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine?

Hrlyrydr
02-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by RustyNut
Most people here no longer use carbon in thier filters and have done as you've suggested with good success

Thanks thats good to know, I was just thinking if the sponge filter would slow down the process of bio wheels in the emp 400.
i would not want them to have a high Density if they could disrupt the bio process. are they sold in different grades?

Hrlyrydr
02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by cichgirl
Are you using a water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine?

Will be going to the lfs tonight, and get something for that...

Hrlyrydr
02-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Hrlyrydr
Water temp = 76
PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
KH = 3
GH = 7
Clorine = 0.05
Iron = 0.05
c02 = 2

Aquarium has been running for 36 hrs now. And im not sure if i should start cycling it now. I will be stocking the tank with Mbuna. I think i need to get the water up to spec's first before cycling? If so my KH and GH levels are a bit low, from what i have been reading in books. I was thinking of using crushed coral in the Emp 400 media container's. Witch lead me to this question on something i read also. the filter cartidge with the activated carbon
do i leave them in the Emp or take them out in a few days, maybe a week? In the past i have never taken them out. but this books says they only last few days maybe weeks. and if i take them out I could get 2 more media containers and use some sort of sponge filter in them along with the other 2 with crushed coral, good idea or not?

the Ammonia and Nitrite reading will be watched when i cycle the tank. as for the other reading i have no idea if there something i have to watch also?

TIA

Update on readings, treated tank with Novaqua 12-13hrs ago, and added crushed Coral the second set of Media containers. heres the new set of readings.

Water temp = 76
PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
KH = 2
GH = 6
Clorine = 0.00
Iron = 0.05
c02 = 2

What i dont get is why would the KH and GH reading be lower?

Heyguy74
02-23-2007, 10:59 AM
The crushed coral will not buffer the water instantly. It takes time. Dont worry about the KH and GH lowering 1 degree. Although, I would raise the KH a little bit. Try using baking soda to get it a few degrees higher.

Also., how are you measuring your Co2? Is the reading in ppm?This shouldn't be a worry for you.

Hrlyrydr
02-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Heyguy74
The crushed coral will not buffer the water instantly. It takes time. Dont worry about the KH and GH lowering 1 degree. Although, I would raise the KH a little bit. Try using baking soda to get it a few degrees higher.

Also., how are you measuring your Co2? Is the reading in ppm?This shouldn't be a worry for you.

I saw somewhere for Lake Malawi cichlids the GH should be at least 12dh an the KH 7dh. I will give the Backing soda a try, i woud use 1 teaspood for every 5 or 10 gal?

the co2 reading is the no# of drops it took to chang the reading from one color to the next times 2. 1x2 = 2

the test was, add 5 drops of reagent A, mix for ten seconds = starting color.

add one drop of reagent B, check color, repeat till color changed to ending color.

co2 concentration in ppm = no# of drops reagent B, Bx2.

only took one drop for it to change. so thats how i got 2 as reading. what it means i have no idea. I just did the test cause it came with the test kit i got.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, i have a lot to learn about these testing kits and what they mean.

Heyguy74
02-23-2007, 12:20 PM
I use 1 tablespoon of baking soda per 10 gallons of water. My tap water has a PH of 7.0. and a KH of 2 so I need to buffer it.= for my africans.
Is the pH of your tap water 8.2? If so you would need less than than what I put in. The highest the pH can go with Baking soda is 8.2. The crushed coral should help the GH raise up. Epsom salts will also raise GH. One tablespoon per 10 gallons

Your GH doesnt need to get as high as 12. I've read the Gh levels of lake malawi can be anywhere from 4 to 12 deg. You dont have to mess with this. The coral should keep this with exceptable levels.

Dont worry about testing for C02, iron or clorine. Your tap water conditioner will elimates the clorine and CO2 and iron arent usually a problem for most people. Good Luck

Hrlyrydr
02-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Heyguy74
I use 1 tablespoon of baking soda per 10 gallons of water. My tap water has a PH of 7.0. and a KH of 2 so I need to buffer it.= for my africans.
Is the pH of your tap water 8.2? If so you would need less than than what I put in. The highest the pH can go with Baking soda is 8.2. The crushed coral should help the GH raise up. Epsom salts will also raise GH. One tablespoon per 10 gallons

Your GH doesnt need to get as high as 12. I've read the Gh levels of lake malawi can be anywhere from 4 to 12 deg. You dont have to mess with this. The coral should keep this with exceptable levels.

Dont worry about testing for C02, iron or clorine. Your tap water conditioner will elimates the clorine and CO2 and iron arent usually a problem for most people. Good Luck

tap water is Ph 8.2, I will use 1 teaspoon for every 10gal and see what that does.
Thanks for all your help.........:)