PDA

View Full Version : compatability question

moogles
02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi I have a quick question I plan on stocking my tank with
Pseudotropheus demasoni ,Metriaclima callainos (cobalt blue zebra) ,Pseudotropheus sp. "acei" ,and Labidochromis caeruleus
and I wanted to know if a Black Ghost Knifefish
(Apteronotus albifrons) would be compatible with those fish? Because I really would like very much to have the black ghost knife fish as well ^_^
thanks in advance!

RustyNut
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
No The cichlids will eventually kill it.

AndrewDru
02-20-2007, 06:35 PM
i agree the knife fish hasent got the temprament to live with mbuma and it would be a easy target for them

Swanny
02-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Moogles, I would say I agree and disagree. I agree that behaviorally the knife is not as aggressive but I also believe that it is so physiologically different from the cichlids that they are just as likely to leave it alone if you get a bigger knife. No guarantees but if your really set on one, I think there might be a chance. I have seen all sorts of strange combinations with african cichlids and it seems that the less closely the other fish resemble the cichlids the less likely they are to harass it. If you can put the knife in first and start all of them off small together then maybe.

aharris
02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
water quality issues are also a consideration

newpark
02-22-2007, 04:45 AM
The Malawis will leave the BGK alone, pretty much. Problem is when the BGK grows up it will likely treat the Malawis as food! This was my experience some years ago anyway.

austyn
02-24-2007, 10:24 AM
what about clown knifes with assorted cichlids?

RustyNut
02-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Assorted are usually mbunas and that would not be good