PDA

View Full Version : Weird cycling.

Pets+ Staff
02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
I am about to finish setting up another 55 and i was wondering if i could use the filter cartiage out of my dwarf puffer tank. right now i have one side of the filter open and the other with a new cartiage. (it is a regent but i am not sure what kind, so it has to sides.)

LuckyCricketMafia
02-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes you could, depending on if your "puffer filter" has two seeded cartiages. If it only has one it could send your original tank back to cycling. I would run the new filter for your 55 gal on the puffer tank for at least a week, then move it over. Just be sure the water is treated (tap water can kill the good bacteria) and to add fish quickly so the bacteria does not die off.

Pets+ Staff
02-19-2007, 07:19 PM
In other words its ok to use "puffer" bacteria. Is all freash water filters ok to use toward cycling?

LuckyCricketMafia
02-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Yes, most people use cheap fish like danios, guppies to cycle a tank before adding the fish they want. But I use the method stated before in all my tanks, and no problems so far. It is important to match the load of the new tank with the seeded filter. For example you cant seed a filter on a cycled 10 gal tank with 1 or 2 fish and expect it to maintain a 55 gal with 20 fish, the waste load would be too much.

EDIT* by the way I have dwarf puffers too, great little fish, but very messy :D. Do you have any advice on feeding?? Up until now mine are only eating blood worms and would like to change it up a bit, what do you feed??

Over_Stocked
02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by LuckyCricketMafia
Yes, most people use cheap fish like danios, guppies to cycle a tank before adding the fish they want. But I use the method stated before in all my tanks, and no problems so far. It is important to match the load of the new tank with the seeded filter. For example you cant seed a filter on a cycled 10 gal tank with 1 or 2 fish and expect it to maintain a 55 gal with 20 fish, the waste load would be too much.

EDIT* by the way I have dwarf puffers too, great little fish, but very messy :D. Do you have any advice on feeding?? Up until now mine are only eating blood worms and would like to change it up a bit, what do you feed??

Something to consider here is that a 10 gallon with 4-10 inches of fish in it has a significant bioload, especially with the filter. It is actually very comparable of that of a 55, with 30 inches of fish... What I like to do is get that filter floss or cut to fit pads and put them in a running tank, as you can force more of it in than usual. It might slow your filter down some, but for the short time it rarely hurts, or my preferred method is to just attach my new filter to the existing tank for a week or so, and then just set up the new tank, treat the water, get it to temp and add the new filters hours before buying the new fish.

Pets+ Staff
02-19-2007, 09:45 PM
thats what i did i have a regent double sided power filter and i put the cut peice of floss and slid it in the middle of the to sides, right were the impeller is.

about feeding the puffers i work at a pet store so i get an unlimited about of snails (the tiny ones from our live plants) and i buy them some bloodworms every so often. i saw one of mine chewing on a leaf the other day. it was kinda funny to watch, but he didn't eat it.
the snails are good b/c they grind they're "beaks" down so they don't grow an over bite.

does anyone have any advise on fixing the grinding that regent filters make went they just get old? i have cleaned them but no luck.

Over_Stocked
02-19-2007, 10:12 PM
new impeller?

Pets+ Staff
02-20-2007, 02:09 PM
the little fan at the end of the intake tube

Over_Stocked
02-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Pets+ Staff
the little fan at the end of the intake tube

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was suggesting a new impeller. That is what makes most of the noise in most pumps.