PDA

View Full Version : Planted Tank Question

angelhf13
08-04-2003, 08:42 PM
I have a tank with 2 angelfish (29 gal.), and recently bought a couple of plant bulbs just to see if they would grow. Directions said to just drop them in the tank, and they would root themselves and grow.....well boy did they! Within about 3 weeks I had plants growing out of the water! Now, they are multiplying, and Im not sure how to maintain (clean) the tank gravel without disturbing the roots. Any suggestions? I really didnt plan on these things working, or growing quite like this, but they are really pretty, so I'd like to let them grow. Of course, I will control the new ones popping up everywhere. I put them in the angel tank only because I knew they probably wouldnt survive in my african tanks. Also, will the roots effect under gavel filtration? I did switch from an under gravel to a whisper, but was just curious for future reference if you can have plants with under gravel filtration. Thought maybe the roots would start growing up the tube or something...?

RedDeviL
08-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Im really interested in those bulbs where did u get them??? :) :)

Chet
08-05-2003, 10:45 AM
I have had plants grow roots up into my UG intake tubes before. I have basically just quit using real plants in my tanks, because they make tank maintenance so much harder, and pieces of the plants are always getting sucked into my filter intakes. With angels though, you may not have the massive amounts of waste my fish produce, so thoroughly cleaning the gravel may not be such a necessity. Also, the plants and their roots will take care of some of the waste from your fish. I wonder what type of plants you have...?

angelhf13
08-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanx for the replys! Yeah, my angels are WAY less messy than my africans! I only have to clean the gravel good once a month or so in the angel tank. Oddly enough, I got those bulbs from Wal- Mart! I just happened to come across them as I was frowning at all the dead fish in the aquariums there, and thought I'd try them. As far as what they are called, I cant remember. (sorry!) They came 2 to a package, and look like brown roots all balled up about as big as a large acorn. They began to grow in a few days and have stems about half way the total length, and long thin leaves about as long as the stems. Leaves are about an inch in width. They seem to grow as tall as the level of the water, then spread out at the top a bit. every now and then, a stem will grow with no leaf...instead at the top three little stems with tiny white flower- like things that turn into seed pods I guess, then fall to the bottom where a new plant will soon emerge, but the new ones do not grow as quick or as big, so you have lots of different size plants. The leaves are a really pretty light green, and some of them have a slight burgandy hue on the underside. Next time Im in Wal-Mart, Ill look to see if they have them and let you know what they are called. Thanx again for the replys.

new guy
12-27-2004, 09:52 AM
i have some of those to i also got them from wal mart i dont know what they are called but myn are starting to dye of now and those stuped seed thing just float arond the tank and get the filter all cloged up never have seen one grow

sippyjuice
01-18-2005, 02:16 AM
I have some of those plants as well and they rock. I wait until the leaves fall off or break up then fish them out with my net, kind of like you would a pool. As far as gravel cleaning goes, if you want to keep the plants just carefully uproot them and set them aside. I bury the roots once the gravel is clean and they do fine. Pretty durable plants for 2 bucks at Wal-Mart. I have mine in my cichlid tank, I gave some bulbs to friends but they didn't have the same results I did.

Rex Karr
01-18-2005, 10:34 AM
I think it might be some type of Madagascan lilly, I had some in one of my first aquariums.

Heyguy74
01-20-2005, 09:40 AM
The bulbs are probably some sort of Lily or a type of Aponogeton. You can wait for the leaves to start growing then check with a plant based web site like aquariumplant.com to find out what plants you have.

SuperDave9x19
03-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Those bulbs are excellent in community tanks, but I have 2 minor issues with them:

1. When they go dormant (They are a bulb/corm so think of them like a water growing Tulip or Crocus) you need to remove the bulbs if you have diggers. I dunno what to do cause I only IDd the problembut acheived no solution. At $3 for 4 bulbs, I was content to discard and buy newones. Bulbs are apparently semi tasty as they regain their strength.

2. If they go dormant and die unnoticed, they really foul the tank.

I had one shoot a flower thru my filter gap and had a fragrant 1" diam white flower 3" above my hood. All other flowers just drifted on surface.