PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam

Tony
08-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Styrofoam has been known to be used in tanks for fake rock walls and I've heard that It can be place in the tank (Styrofoam) on the bottom. Underneath the sand or gravel to protect the bottom in case any Cichlids dig under the rocks and cause them to fall. I have a few questions about this. Is it safe for the fish? Will it decay rapidly? Is there a particular type of Styrofoam that I need to use? Do you have to paint or treat the Styrofoam with something? What type of paint is safe to put on the Styrofoam... then put in your tank?(obviously none toxic for your cichlids) but what type? I have used PVC cut into pieces to place under certain rock structures in my tanks. It is easily hidden in the sand or gravel and distributes the weight of the rocks more evenly over the tank bottom (for particularly large rocks). I have been looking into new backgrounds and remember seeing someone with a cool fake Styrofoam rock wall. I just cannot remember all the details. My big worry is the paint for the Styrofoam. Any ideas or info would be helpful, Thanks..... Tony :)

SGypsyMermaid
08-03-2003, 03:13 PM
look here: http://www.speakeasy.org/~jfd61/fish/fish3.htm

chc
10-07-2003, 07:21 PM
No worries..... styro is inert.