PDA

View Full Version : A/C 110 - did I get a lemon?

NEO_72
02-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi all,

I just installed 2 AC 110's - one is nice and quiet - the other is rattling up a storm. Before I strip it and get wet, has anyone had this problem? All the AC's I've owned have a little 'lid' rattle, but nothing this annoying. I'd like to get some advice before going through the hassle of taking it back.

Thanks!

Steve C
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I quit using AC's because of the motors quiting, the noise, and the media basket not staying seated. Typically the noise I had was because the flow adapter wasn't installed correctly.

NEO_72
02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Ah, thanks Steve - I will check that first thing tomorrow.

Hmm, I still like them for their open media chambers. Although I've had all those problems too. I've had a motor that came back to life after a good impellor well cleaning and a few days of rest.

Just didn't want to get cannisters again - I make too much of a mess cleaning them ;)

RustyNut
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I have great luck with the AC110/500's so I guess its all in the individual.

My AC's are very quiet... only whispers are quieter HOB's so that is something that is probably related to incorrect assembly.

Not that AC's don't have thier problems.... I just think thier Pros out weigh their Cons for HOB's

cichgirl
02-13-2007, 07:41 AM
I'd check the impellor and the intake and make sure both are seated correctly. I've never had a loud AC -except the occasional lid rattler.

Steve C
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I went through a few ac's on our 20 gallon shellie tank, the motors would just seize up. I thought it was sand getting in so I shortened the intake and it still happened. I think I went through three of them in less than a month.

The biggest pain for me as far as cannisters go is for me to crawl under my tanks and un hook them.

DogWalker
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I find my older AC's sometimes won't start when I plug them back in. The 1st time this happened I thought the motor died, so I bought another, then realized you just twist off the motor housing, pull out the impellor, clean as needed, put it back together and it works again. They've all lasted 10 years or more for me, without getting noisier.

NEO_72
02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks!