PDA

View Full Version : filter change in a established tank

SomeThing Fishy
10-07-2002, 01:09 PM
I currently have an ehime canister filter (chemical/mechanical) in my 55 gallon tank that is using ammo-carb and I was thinking about buying a rainbow lifeguard fluidized bed filter (biological ). OK here the big question ... how would I establish the fluidized bed filter without killing all my fish and can my tank cycle eventhough I am running my ehime?

SomeThing Fishy
10-07-2002, 01:19 PM
i also am running a vortex diatom filter. is this ok for my african cichlids?

Scotty
10-07-2002, 01:31 PM
Hey Bud 8) My first question is why? A decent sized Eheim should be plenty for your tank. Doing regular water changes, feeding correctly, and vacuuming your gravel are all more important than having a "mega-filter". If you go with a fluidized bed make sure your tank has good circulation and aeration, as these filters can lower the O2 levels in your tank if you don't have the right set-up. To answer your original question (finally, right :wink: ) the best way to break in a new filter is to run both for about six weeks before taking the old one off.

Diatom filters are good for polishing your water, but you don't need to run it all the time. I run mine for a few hours right after a water change. Keep a box of the Diatom Carbon powder around too. It's great if you need to remove meds of if you accidentally spill something into the tank.

SomeThing Fishy
10-07-2002, 07:33 PM
my fish and i thank you for the help scotty... :wink:

Scotty
10-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Your welcome on both counts. Always glad to help a new hobbyist 8)