PDA

View Full Version : african help?

eburen
02-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I have some juv's with ralm strong color when I bought them but in 1-2 wks, the colors started to fade. I asked the pet store owner and he said they had been enhanced with hormones, and as they matured their colors would return, Does anyone have any info. on this topic. They are also in my 75 gal. with some larger fish

aharris
02-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, they should get some colors back as they grow. A lot of times, haps will be fed hormoned food to force them to show colors they normally wouldn't show until they grew to adulthood. The hormones in the food will do this whether they are female or male. Stores like it because it makes normally drab-looking fry saleable. Hobbyists don't like it because it really isn't good for the fish and may negatively impact their long term color.

The problem is that the hormones can cause the adult to not show as much color as they otherwise would have had they been allowed to show their color naturally with growth. It's a little like feeding a baby secondary sex hormones to provoke the growth of facial hair and other secondary sex characteristics. It's unnatural and probably unhealthy however there is no reason your fish can't live a healthy life now that they aren't being force-fed hormones.

Just be aware that they may not all be colorfula s some of the colorful ones may also have been females who would otherwise not show any color.

)'>
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
aharris, Nicely put.
the fish will typically color back up with age. hang in there, at least you know the potential of the fish.
I have also found the opposite to be true, I could bring home a drab fish from an un-ideal tank situation, and put him in ideal water parameters with out a dominate male of his kind and he will blossom that day.