PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics

bluoval1
08-01-2003, 04:31 PM
I have noticed over the last couple weeks that my Cichlid's are acting normal and everything in the tank is good, but they are having long strings of fecal matter trailing them which kind of leads me to believe they have internal parasites.

Would a braod spectrum antibiotic for Popeye also treat internal parasites? I have some Tetracycline left over from treating a fish with Popeye?

Overawed
08-01-2003, 05:25 PM
How does it look? Clear or solid? If its solid, then they are probably getting too much protien in their diet. SHould be fine with less protein and more veggies.

bluoval1
08-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Strange as it may sound the feces has both in it. Some sections are solid and some sections are clear.

merlyn2221
08-02-2003, 12:10 PM
That may be urine and feces. Is there any whitish fecal matter? What gives you the impression that the fish has parasites other than the feces? Is it not eating? That is classic of parasitic infestation.
There is no antibiotic that treats parasites, but some are used after parasite treatment to prevent secondary infections. The best all around parasite medications are metronidazole, piperazine (anti-wormer for intestinal parasites), and Clout.