PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Polarity

fitch
10-07-2002, 11:29 AM
Yet another question...

Can I reverse the polarity on an aquaclear mag. drive (say AC 150 type filter) and then set it up as a push rather than pull system. This would work for overflows. I would then just bend a tube, (Like the old style hang on the back filters) between the tank and the filter, syphon to the box and pump to the sump (for tanks that are low on the system, ie 1 foot off of the ground).

The difference that I see between the AC and the old style (and powerheads for that matter) is that the drive is inverted, that is why I wonder if reversing the polarity would actually do anything different. Or if the only way to make these guys push is to invert them.

Cheers,
Jay

Scotty
10-07-2002, 01:54 PM
Hey Fitch, Your system should be set up so the sump is lower than everything else, and large enough to handle the overflow from all tanks in the system. If you are describing what I think you are, it's a disaster waiting to happen. If your power fails the pump and tubing going up will turn into a siphon that will drain out everything above. Since you will have small tanks beneath a large sump you will have water everywhere :shock:

fitch
10-07-2002, 02:03 PM
Nope, they arn't below the sump, but only about 2 feet off of the ground to the top of the tanks. Thinking about a pre-filter using an old 30 gallon drum above the sump. To get to the top of the drum I would need to pump the water about 1 ft higher than the tank. Thus by using (if possible) the ac in reverse polarity I could get the extra height to the top of the prefilter.

Cheers
Jay

Scotty
10-07-2002, 02:17 PM
You could get a Rio pump. If you take the outside grate off, it has a male fitting at both ends that will take a 5/8 hose. This will allow you to send the water either way depending on what end you put the hose on.

fitch
10-08-2002, 07:10 AM
Thanks Scotty, I am trying not to have to purchase any equipment, just trading fry to local shop... and he has an established wet/dry and some empty tanks that I am consisdering. But not much left on the used pumps.

Cheers
Jay

Scotty
10-08-2002, 08:16 AM
Good Luck with it Jay 8) I love wet/dry filters. They're perfect for fish like Africans that like water with a high dissolved oxygen content. If you can figure out a way to rig it, I'd say go for it :!: