PDA

View Full Version : Cycing the 75 gallon

eyeca
02-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi all
So I am ready to cycle my 75 gallon tank for the Africans. I will use the gravel/filter and some decorations from my establisted 20 gallon tank to speed up the cycling.

I have read that one should not start with more than 2 fish to cycle a tank. Is it true for any size tank? I cycled my 20 gallon with 2 Africans (Red zebra and a bumblebee).

Do I/ Can I start with more than 2 for a 75 gallon tank? The idea is to move the existing ones to the new home. They are about 2 inches right now.

Thanks
Eyeca

voodoochile
02-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I just cycled a 55 gallon with 10 small gold fish 2 Guppies & 2 black Mollies. I put them in once the water cleared (2 days).

I still have 8 of the gold fish & 1 of the mollies that survived the cycle. The guppies couldn't take the PH & were gone within 2 days.

Since I've added a mix of africans. I was hoping they would take out the gold fish but they are holding there own. Guess I'll give them to a LFS.

eyeca
02-05-2007, 09:12 AM
That is what I am trying to avoid - to have to return the fish after cycle. I do not want gold fish. Can I use 10 africans to cycle the 75 gallon?

voodoochile
02-05-2007, 09:47 AM
You can but it can be quite pricey if they don't make it through the cycle. My gold fish cost 15 cents each so I doubt I'll even take them back. Eventually the Africans will take care of them. :twisted:

Heyguy74
02-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Try a produvt called Bio-Spira. It will instantly cycle the tank. You can put the fish you want right in there. Put the bio-spira nd fish in at the same time.Its not cheap, but it works great. It will be rifrigerated and almost frozen. Don't let your LFS talk you into getting one of the products that are sitting on the shelf. Its made by Marineland. Its really a great product.

If you are going to use the filter or filters from an established tank and put the fish from the same tank in the new tank , your tank will cycle rather quickly, if it cycles at all. The bioload will be the same .you just have more water. Good Luck

Ar

eyeca
02-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Bio-Spira? I have read about this before. Some people say it works while others think otherwise.

Heyguy74
02-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Its worked for me. I have yet to hear that it hasnt worked.

eyeca
02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Ok so do I have to add fish to the new tank with Bio-Spira? Can I do a fishless cycle and use flakes for ammonia and just add fish when it is done cycling?

Heyguy74
02-05-2007, 01:03 PM
You can use either method.
Yes, You add the bio-spira and fish at the same time. Just make sure to use enough. It comes in two sizes, one for 30 Gallons and one for 90 gallosn. You'll need the biiger one.

Instaed of flakes, I've heard of peolpe using a piece of cocktail shrimp. One should be more than enough.

Dempsey88
02-06-2007, 04:05 AM
The "Cycle" additive worked great for my tank. It comes in small packets and is in liquid form. My tank was was good to go within a couple of days.