PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life of a crazy man

Northernblades
01-31-2007, 02:07 PM
I am sure by the time this is done, it will be a ramble. but lets see how long you can hold out

Last night, I came home from work, and saw.... suspicious behavior, in the form of excited and hungry cichlids, "moreso than normal"
so I descide to have a closer look.

while having this look "momma" comes up to the top, reflex kicked in and I had her in the net. (normaly nearly imposible)

I figured she had spat a few babies (the reason the rest were going nuts) anbd I had a chance to catch her.

I moved her into a bowl (as to not have to remove her from the water, and into a bag (to float her in y baby tank)

I got my 5 way breeder box ready (I learned last time, old babies eat new babies)

and once she was done, I was going to put her in the breeder box.

soooo, she spat out 2 little babbies (fully formed) I figured close enough to full term, and since she spat out 2 already, I (encouraged her to spit out the rest (dunking her head into and out of the water) 14 babies total... sad batch, but I figured she lost a few in the tank.

soo she spat them out, I re bagged her and floated her in the main tank, and let her go shortly.

Now the babies.
I let the babies float in their bag, while I set up my breeder box, lined the bottom to prevent then from fitting through little holes. and figured I was set,

I dumped the bag in, and I think nearly all stuck to the bag, refilled them with water, and tried again, now only counting 8 babies. (not impressed)

soo this morning, I come out to see my old babies picking at the bottom of my breeder box, and uppon closser inspection, found my missing 6 babies between 2 layers of plastic.

I then paniced, bagged up the big babbies (seperated the biggest female, se went into the big tank) and the rest got ran down to the pet store, he already told me he would take them, but I don;t think he wanted them now.

got home quick, let the little female go (as such she seems to be fitting in nicely, wait till I find out she is a he) and dumped the breeder into my fry tank. I reasoned that rocks sink faster, and if I dumped quickly, the rocks would sink before fish did, and they would be alright.

I then dissmantled the breeder and got the remaining 6 out.

I now see...... 3 in the fry tank. hopefully things didn;t go that poorly, and they are just hiding.

On a side note, how sensitive are brine shrimp to temperature variations?

Northernblades
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
the last batch was soo much easier, put momma in the nursry, when she spat them out, I took her out. easy as pie.

Dragonkeeper
01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
thats good to hear. I am currently raising 5-6 Johanni in a small breeder box.

Where did you get your 5 way breeder?

Northernblades
01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
long story but in short the dump

Josh84
01-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Wow, sounds stressful blades. Maybe with time and more batches it will get easier for you. I wish you luck and I would say it sounds like to me your doing a pretty good job. Im waiting on my 2 johannis to breed. IT will be my first africans fry. GOOD LUCK!

Steve C
01-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Im sure I missed the point of this story, after I read the "dunking her head in and out of water" part I couldn't get the image of you dunking the fish like a tea bag.