PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Central Filtration?

fitch
10-07-2002, 11:19 AM
Ok guys, I plan on putting in a central filtation system in my fishroom, and the question is "are there any guides for propre sizing?" I would assume that I would want twice the volume of what could drain from the tanks. So if I put 2 x 65, 1 x 40, 1 x 45, 1 x 35, and 1 x 30 all on the same system... and assume that I set-up my overflow boxes so that a max of 5 gallons can come out of any of the tanks... that would make 30 gallons, and double would be 60. So if I had 60 gallons of capacity I would be ok. Now for flow I want 4-5 times the total volume filtered per hour, thus a pump that After head loses would pump between 1120 and 1400 gph. Does this make sense? Am I way over doing it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jay

CichlidPete
10-07-2002, 04:11 PM
The math all sounds about right. the rule of thumb for cichlid filtration is 10 times an hour, but....

The Mag Drive 1800 will do about 1200 g.p.h. with 6 ft. of head. I am looking at getting two for my system. I got a price of 195.00 for 2 of them from a local guy. www.kenmenard.net I think you have to email for a price, not listed on the site. Great prices of fish food too!!!

What are you planning on for heating the system? Are you gonna use a temp. controller? I would suggest looking at the article AND the product at www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Temperature_Controller/temperature_controller.html I got one and it is great!

Pete