PDA

View Full Version : Water changes....arrghhh

Dempsey88
01-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I was wondering how the majority does water changes. I have had the Python system for quite some time, but it doesn't work too well in my situation...... especially because I run an extension on the system. My tanks sit about a good 30 feet away from my faucet. The suction power is minimal and I have to have the faucet running almost all the way in order to get some kind of siphoning power. I have heard of PPL using a water pump and a simple hose to do water changes. Has anyone had any experience with this type of setup? Any comments or advice?

RustyNut
01-30-2007, 07:16 PM
I use a RIO 1100 pump all the time as the python vinyl tubing fits over its output snugly and the python becomes much more efficient! Works really well for me.

Steve C
01-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I use the python on my utility sink and have no issues. I have a 50 foot original with a 25 (i think) extension and I haven't seen any loss of siphon.

Steve C
01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by RustyNut
I use a RIO 1100 pump all the time as the python vinyl tubing fits over its output snugly and the python becomes much more efficient! Works really well for me.

Hey Rusty, what happens if you siphon up too much sand or debris? does it ever spit the hose off or muck up the pump?

RustyNut
01-31-2007, 07:17 AM
I don't siphon debris with the pump... I still have a 5g bucket for bottom cleaning after stirring everything up.... but I usually don't even fill the bucket anymore.... just enough to vaccuum up the detritus.

Normally I stir up the sand beed well and then begin pumping out the old water using the RIO connected to the Python with no water running at the sink the pump pulls out as much water over the same period as regular python operation. After stirring the water is filled with the debris and the pump sucks this floating detritus out... While the pump is draining the tank, I use my wand and siphon hose to suck up the settled debris off the bottom.

Once enough water is removed, I shut off the pump (but leave attached) and reverse the python flow and refill the tank.... the pump doesn't seem to restrict the output enough to matter so I don't have to put it on and take it off all the time....

fish speaker
01-31-2007, 08:18 AM
I use a 75' python on my office tank, due to distance from the sink...and it works fine. It probably has more to do with water pressure than distance from the sink.

I also use a pump for some water changes at home (not for gravel vac). I use a Mag 2400 pond pump that I have hooked up to a garden hose. I use a standard python for vacuuming and to refill the tanks. With this setup, I can do a 40% water change on my 210 in less than 20 minutes. :D

Steve C
01-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Interesting, I don't think I am good enough with a vac and bucket to pull this off.

Northernblades
01-31-2007, 09:42 AM
I still do mine old school.
I vacume the gravel (2x 5 gallon buckets)

and then the rest I would rather not talk about (bucket brigade)
I am still in shock that peopel fill their tanks right from the faucet, but clearly works for some.

RustyNut
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I have a well, so the water is nearly perfect straight outta the tap... (Yeah I am lucky)

Mag24!!! Whoa that is a huge pump!

Steve C
01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Northernblades
I still do mine old school.
I vacume the gravel (2x 5 gallon buckets)

and then the rest I would rather not talk about (bucket brigade)
I am still in shock that peopel fill their tanks right from the faucet, but clearly works for some.

I tried the siphon to bucket way...but you would be amazed how easily I am distracted and how quickly a bucket can overflow before I notice.

I tried refilling with buckets also, but, lets see how to describe this.....you ever try to pour oil into your car engine without a funnel? That initial stream off the mark just a tad? Thats me.