PDA

View Full Version : bleekeri?

Karl
07-26-2003, 04:15 PM
what is it? is it the same as somthing called a pollina?(somthing like that i forgot the name) and can you give me some info? the lfs has a pollina for $30 and its 4inches

BSwan27
07-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Here's an article I found on both of them:

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a117.html

Karl
07-26-2003, 08:58 PM
k thanks. and does any one know if $30 is a good deal for about a 4inch Paratilapia polleni?

Karl
07-26-2003, 09:05 PM
and how would on get along with a buttikoferi?

Rudy
07-29-2003, 08:59 AM
They are classed as just paratilipia small spot (polleni) and large spot (bleekeri) $30 is o.k. for a Bleekeri, or polleni about $4. They range from $10 to $30 around here. Bleeks used to be more expensive, but they are bred pretty frequently now. Both fish are tough. Bleeks are supposed to be quite a bit more aggressive than polleni, however I don't think that. They just grow bigger. I have seen a 10 inch polleni that is really aggressive. My bleekeri is about 11 inches now and he is a real a hole. He gets along with my butti, festae and a female dovi no problem although they are in a 187 gallon and there are lots of targets in there. He also runs the tank though. Generally I would say that the two would not get along (especially in a smaller tank) as the butti growth is quite a bit faster and there are few that aren't really aggressive even at a young age.

You could always try as I got the same response of no when I wanted to try it. Just be prepared to move one of them if it hits the fan.

One thing to rember is that Paratilipia the females grow extremely slow compared to males. We are talking snail rate. When my male killed my female she was less than half his size. If a female paratilipia is in with a male or female butti (as they seem to grow similar) she is in a lot of trouble. If you are going to try it get a male.

Karl
07-29-2003, 12:10 PM
k thanks rudy.