PDA

View Full Version : Humidity Problems

opaleski
01-17-2007, 07:23 PM
How do those of you with large tanks deal with the humidity problem in the "Aquarium Room" I live in Florida so we have high humidity outside as it is.

Northernblades
01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I live in canada.
in the mountains.

we don;t talk about humidity, we talk about wind chill.

90% of the people here run humidifiers in the winter.... I don;t have to. My tank uses, roughly 10 gallons a week.

as per your question
full glass cover, + canopy
use sump or canister instead of HOB
if using sump, closed cabinet.

once you have cut off all the air, a powerhead with air intake should be enough.

not often I give advice this extreme, and you might want to check with others.

cichgirl
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Do you have central air? That pulls out quite a bit of humidity. Unfortunately, humidity is a fact of life with large tanks and there's no real way around it that I know of without impacting the surface air exchange in your tank. My basement gets really humid in the summer and I have to run a dehumidifier periodically to guard against mold, but it's pretty much a wash and eats up your electric bill.

opaleski
01-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the reply's--A dehumidifier it is!

cichgirl
01-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Just remember it's futile to overdo it. The drier the air is the quicker water evaporates. Just try to keep it tolerable without driving yourself crazy...

opaleski
01-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah--I agree but with two Large Tanks, a Stereo system and two computers I would rather add water than have the "High" humidity