PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protectors

RobSplatF4
01-12-2007, 08:32 PM
I seem to be having a problem with surge protectors on my 125. About six months ago, I had one fry (totally smoked the inside). I was not home at the time it crapped out. Needless to say it had to be replaced. I picked a somewhat high end Belkin. The next day it I heard a small crackling sound and I unplugged it immediately. My secondary heater was quite old so I suspected it as the culprit. I plugged everything back in except the old heater and everything has been fine until today. The belkin did the exact same thing. I had the electrician from work come out and check all the lugs in the meter base and breaker panel the first time it happened. The only thing he suggested was upgrading my electrical service to 100 amp as it is and an old service. Thats a great idea and all but quite expensive. I just dont understand why the problem happens on the exact same circuit. This time when it shorted all of the lights went dim like I had a loose neutral somewhere. Im just all out of ideas. The Belkin is supposed to suppress up to a 1770 joules, 90,000 amp maximum spike surrent. It acts like the surge protectors are being shorted by a device plugged into it not a power surge. Sorry for long post but if anyone has any ideas, this problem is really bothering me now.

Glaive
01-12-2007, 09:52 PM
What is the rated draw as opposed to the rated surge?

austin8214
01-13-2007, 06:15 AM
What amp service do you have now 60? Here is the deal when you max out your amperage your voltage will drop causing problems with all sorts of things. Your surge protector is the weak link. It does not take much to eat up 60 amps especially if you have an electric hot water heater, oven and refrigerator freezer.

RobSplatF4
01-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Its a 60 amp service, but I am having trouble convincing myself that this problem should be happening only on this circuit. I havent put an amp clamp on this circuit yet to see what I am drawing. But, if the devices in that tank are drawing too many amps why wouldn't the breaker on the surge protector trip. I know this circuit is loaded pretty heavy with kitchen outlets and garage, so I was thinking of re-wiring that outlet to another circuit like the guest bedroom.

Glaive
01-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm not an electrician, but how much of a load do you have on the surge protector?

RobSplatF4
01-13-2007, 04:43 PM
2 emperor 400, 400 watt heater, two single lamp 36" fluorescents, 1140 powerhead, led moon lights at night.

Glaive
01-13-2007, 05:30 PM
400 watts for heater
50 watts tops for both emperors
80 watts maybe for the lights
25 watts tops for the power head
555 watts probably over estimated?

If the surge protector is for TVs and audio video equipment then it should be good, I would think.
One the other hand if it rated for computers you may be straining it.

You do have to think that you are pulling roughly 4.5 amps across it so that may be the issue. I would try plugging the heater into it's own surge protector or plug and see what happens.

If I think about my girl friends computer it has a 450 watt power supply, however in truth the entire system draws about 250 watts at full load. Your one heater kicks on a draws 400 watts perhaps one plug is not rated to that draw and once one plug burns they all eat it?

RustyNut
01-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't bother with a heater on a surge protector anyways....

RobSplatF4
01-13-2007, 06:15 PM
The only problem I have is a single outlet, whereas the surge protector doubles as a distribution block. Do you think that the heater is just wearing down the MOV over time? Thats really the only other thing I can think is happening here.

RobSplatF4
01-13-2007, 06:17 PM
The new I bought is made for aquariums, so I guess I will see how this goes.

Glaive
01-13-2007, 06:29 PM
If this one fails look into replacing the socket with a two plug deal.

RobSplatF4
01-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Its a single gang two (two receptacles), but the 55 uses the other. I guess I could replace it with a double gang. I guess Ill have to think about splicing the circuit to another.

Chewy
01-14-2007, 12:57 PM
I go with an outlet strip to gain outlets. I certainly would suggest a new service as that could aid in the electrical problem, as surge protectors go both ways, and a 60 amp service probably means that your aquarium outlet is on with something else.