PDA

View Full Version : pool filer sand discoloration

yanyon_29
01-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Is anyone using this kind of media for your tanks? i am using pool filter sand as advised by another member since it doesnt get all cloudy in the tank when disturbed...

Well here is what i was wondering while performing a 25% water change today. as i vaccumed the sand, i saw parts of the sand especially underneath seemed darker and had some kind of odor... has anyone experienced this? odor didnt seemed toxic for the fish but who knows what it could be? it didnt smell like dead fish, i just cant explain the odor... anyways i was just wondering if you guys noticed this? thanks.

sponger_2
01-06-2007, 10:49 PM
its probably, poop, and uneaten food, etc. my ? is what is your tank size and how much sand did you put in. if its over 2"-3" deep than that is to much. maybe cut back a little on feeding as well.

RustyNut
01-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Yes, its waste breaking down under the sand, sometimes the cichlids digging can burring a pile of poop....

You should be stirring up your sand (I rake my fingers through it) each time you do a filter servicing.... Just to keep it broken up and prevent it from turning anaerobic. (Which would kill the fish)

yanyon_29
01-07-2007, 08:48 AM
tank info:

60 gal long
48x16x12

Ok, i was abit worried what that could possibly have been. but if its poop waste breaking down then atleast i already know what to do. i do feed my fish what they can consume in 30 - 60 secs. but i guess having to many fish will really create this anaerobic in both sand and water...thanks for the info guys, atleast im learning more and more about the hobby.