PDA

View Full Version : Bio Spira, was this the right way?

tpicciani
01-04-2007, 09:35 AM
i went to That Fish Place last Saturday and bought enough Bio Spira to treat my 75 gal tank. I have no fish in the tank yet. Two workers there said to not put fish in for a week after adding the stuff. This doesn't jibe with the info I've been getting on these forums. They said to feed the bacteria by adding a few pinches of fish food to generate some ammonia.

I'm buying 3 small cichlids on Saturday. Did I wait too long? Do I need to buy more bio spira?

Thanks,

Tom P.

Heyguy74
01-04-2007, 11:28 AM
The fish food will break down and feed the bio spira. I always put fish in immediatly, but if you did add some food you should be ok. Add food todauy if you havent already. I would put the fish in and keep an eye on the water parameters. If you do see a spike in the ammonia you can always get more biospira. Good Luck

smkranz
01-12-2007, 08:07 AM
I just set up a new 65 gallon tank. Added Bio-Spira (the 90-gal. size), along with a pair of dwarf cichlids and 6 Penguin Tetras at the same time.

That was Wednesday PM. This morning (Friday) I checked the water specs. Ammonia & Nitrite were -0-. Nitrate was ~5. Water is still hazy.

Glaive
01-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Water should be a hazy for a few days. The biospira releases the bacteria, in a suspended form, into the water column. The bacteria eventually gets where it needs to, your filter media.

smkranz
01-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks, I'm feeling a little better.

Never having used it before, I was feeling kinda nervous trying it out on a $35 pair of tiny little cichlids... but I guess not nervous enough to *not* do it :cool:

Steve C
01-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Ive always been told to add fish immediately, or at least within 24 hours of adding bio spira. I think a week is way too long.

Doesn't fish food take a while to break down to add sufficient amonia?

smkranz
01-14-2007, 08:25 AM
The cloudiness in my tank has indeed cleared, very quickly.

So far, I'm satisfied that the Bio-Spira is working as advertised. I added some new occupants to the tank yesterday (two small albino cory's, two small clown loaches, and two small (2") gold Severum. That will probably do it.

Will continue to monitor levels today, to make sure it's all working.

spifff2003
01-14-2007, 08:33 PM
sounds nice just make sure to keep an eye on the clown loaches for ich for the first week or so it's common

smkranz
01-15-2007, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the tip on the loaches. They seem to be doing very well, but I am watching.

But the two Gold Severum (about 2" each) have sadly gone on to their reward already, yesterday evening after about a day and a half in the tank. Water was perfect when they went in. The following day, ammonia and nitrites were detectable but just barely (ammonia was like .025 and nitrite was similarly at the lowest detectable range of my test kit).

tpicciani
01-19-2007, 07:06 AM
I'm cycled!

Ammonia and Nitrites are now zero. I also added Cycle a week ago to help things along. Looks good. I'm going to start searching the lfs's for more fish this weekend.

spifff2003
01-19-2007, 06:10 PM
have fun