PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Quick Fix...Eheim Canister

bluerusty
01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I have an Eheim 2217 on my 55 gallon tank. It seems that I use the fine filter pad as my last stage of filteration before the water re-enters my tank. The problem is that every 2 -3 months I keep having to replace the fine filter pade because it LIFTS out of place and completely clogges my filters impeller. There is about an inch between my filter's impeller and the fine filter pad. When I replace the pad it comes out of the filter very "saggy" and mushy. Is that normal, because the new pad is firm and fits in place securly at first...

This is almost identical to how my media is set-up in my canister. The only difference is I use Eheim Substrat Pro (2.0L of it) instead of the normal Ehfisubstrat. I do not have the carbon pad in now but do have some handy.
http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/fl_classic_media.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Mike

bluerusty
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM
To add to this...the flow is cut down by nearly 80% when this happens.....

punman
01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
There should be some kind of a plastic grid at both ends of the canister. (mine does). That should keep stuff where it belongs.

bluerusty
01-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Mine only came with 2 grates...it was used and came with the tank that i bought. The first grate goes on the bottom and the second separates the efhimech from the coarse filter pad. So thier should be a thrid grate before the impeller to prevent this?

MisterW
01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by bluerusty
Mine only came with 2 grates...it was used and came with the tank that i bought. The first grate goes on the bottom and the second separates the efhimech from the coarse filter pad. So thier should be a thrid grate before the impeller to prevent this?

I also have the 2217 and it came with two grates....as mentioned in an earlier post they are to be placed on either end of media and this prevents the pad from being sucked into impeller. Have had mine for approx. 8 years so maybe things have changed since then but it still works great.

punman
01-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah. don't use the pastic grid to separate media. The sponges and pads can separate the "noodles" and "rocks."

Heyguy74
01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Actually I use the second grate to sperated the media from the impella. Basically, one grate on teh bottom and one grate on the top. If youy look closely at the pic you posted, you see the green grate on the top and bottom. Good Luck.

bluerusty
01-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys. I guess il just buy a thrid grate because the way i have it set up it is very easy for me to get invivual sections of media out when its time to clean the filter.

-Mike

Steve C
01-06-2007, 08:13 AM
You only really need the 2 spacers.

If you want to seperate your media, I suggest buying media bags...probably cheaper and more accessable than the grates...make sure when you install the grate on top that the 'stilts' point up, that keeps the impeller properly placed above the media.

IMO pads are a pain. I use the efhimech on the bottom, then a layer of the easter grass stuff, then efhipro, and lastly a big wad of fine floss. My bio media is in a bag so I can take it out and "tea bag" it in tank water to clean it. I rinse my ehfimech and grass in tap water, and replace the fine floss.