PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater to Freshwater

shortstuff6400
07-22-2003, 12:41 AM
I'm interested in buying a 90 Gal Salt Water tank but I would like to know how I would go about setting it up for a freshwater setup, what should I use to clean out the tank, filters, etc?

All help would be great thx.
:dance:

fOx
07-22-2003, 08:58 AM
If it's a new tank then there is nothing you have to do to it... If it's used then I would rinse it out well with a hose. There is no real differences between Salt and Fresh tanks. The only thing is the overflows which should be cut into the top corners of the tank. Skimming the surface of a saltwater tank is neccessary so the overflows take care of that. In freshwater, skimming will do little good, but you can use the overflows to run into a sump and filter your water that way. Or, most have plugs that you can use and just draw from the top and into a cannister filter. Once they are plugged (if you so choose) you can adde trickle filters or cannisters as you would so choose.

I wouldn't worry, but Salt tanks are more expensive than regular "freshwater tanks" is there a reason you are buying the "salt" variety?

fOx

shortstuff6400
07-22-2003, 04:57 PM
I just saw one in the buy and sell for a good price and it was a salt water used tank.

fOx
07-23-2003, 09:07 AM
No biggie then, just buy it and rinse it out well. Some people use bleach. If you decide to go that way, only use a little and make sure you rinse out the tank extra good.

fOx

matt1066
07-23-2003, 05:17 PM
I would just scrub it down with a strong salt solution-let it dry then rinse it out with freshwater.

Regards,

Matt