PDA

View Full Version : Moving Day is fast approaching

KrisG23
07-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Hello all...I am badly in need of some expert advice. I will be moving in 5 days, and I need some help on exactly how I should move my tanks without killing my fish. I have a 40 gallon long with the following: 1-6in. Sailfin Pleco 1-3in Elec. Blue Ahli 2-4in Bala Sharks 2-3in Jewels 3-2in Kenyi's 1-2in Acei 1-2in 1-2in Cop. Borelyi & 1-3in Clown Loach. I also have a 10 gallon breeder tank with 10 3/4 inch Elec. Blue/Psedutropheus Saluosi muts:oops: not intended. How should I go about moving these? My original idea was to put as much of the water from my 40 gal. as possible into containers, then place all of the fish into my small tank, move the big tank, refill it with the old water plus....enough to top it off, then replace the fish. However, I have a feeling that it would be a little crowded in the 10 gallon. Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated, as it is painfully obvious that I have none here:oops:

merlyn2221
07-20-2003, 12:44 AM
What vehicle are you moving them in? The heat factor is also an issue.

My suggestions:
Get a large plastic bin like they use for storage, maybe around the size of your tank, and put the fish, with their already seasoned water in there with the lid securely fastened. Fill it where ever it will be transported instead of carrying it to the vehicle.

You can cut out air holes in the lid and use battery powered air stones in it during the trip. That way they are in a similar sized area and not killing each other in the 10g. Plus it will be water they are used to already. If you are afraid of the temp dropping too much, you can always buy styrofoam coolers and do the same thing with them. Otherwise if the temp going too high is an issue you could always float those blue ice pack things (covered in zip type bags) in the bin.

I would also keep my current filter media in the bin, in the aquarium water, with the fish so the bacteria will not all die off.

When you get to your new place you can set up the tank and filter immediately and then put the fish in
hopefully without too much stress.

The only other alternative you might have, and this depends strictly on the amount of time of the move, is to bag the fish. You would have to put only one or two to a bag, but then you could once again reuse the water they were in. Then to keep your filter media with some live cultures of bacteria, you could put it in a zip bag with some aquarium water. The fish could then be transported either in a bin, or styrofoam cooler, depending on the temperature conditions.

Hope this has been helpful. Good luck! And let us know how things are going once you do move. :)

RedDeviL
07-20-2003, 07:03 PM
I just recently moved 2000 miles from San Antonio, TX to Waddington, NY

I did it some what like what merlyn said but i connected a power inverter to to create 3 plugs and i connected a air pump my most powerful to power 4 air stones for 4 diff tubs i moved south americans and central americans cichlids tho...

1 Oscar 6 inch
1 JD 5 inch
1 Texas Cichlid 3 inch
1 Midas 5 inch
1 RD 5 Inch
1 Fire Mouth
2 Convicts

And many dithers tinfoils loaches plecos didnt lose one i went through storms and all...

At the hotels i ran the filters and i didnt feed them 3 days b4 the long trip to lose all waste i also did water changes on the tubs and ran the emp 400s on them at night it was 18 gallon tubs...

GL to u this setup worked for me :)

aharris
07-20-2003, 07:27 PM
When we start to look like we're moving, I'll get plenty of sponge filters seasoned and ready. We're already stock-piling cat litter buckets. I'll probably move one to two fish (size dependent) per bucket with tehir own sponge, and I'll trade off any that I absolutely don't need to start over with. The aquariums will be the last things broken down, and the first things to be set up in the new place. I'll keep the filter media in the buckets with the fish, and put all the sponge filters and the media back into the newly set-up tanks to help any cycling issues. Additionally, the fish will ride in the car somehow so that I can monitor their progress. The prospect of moving my Altocomps absolutely terrifies me. They get shockey so easy.

merlyn2221
07-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Good deal, Red Devil. I forgot to mention the power inverter. (I have one for the tanks in the house in case there is no electricity.) It would work great, especially if you do what aharris has suggested, as well. Then you have aeration and filtration as well.:D

fOx
07-21-2003, 07:25 AM
When I did it two years ago, I raided a local fish store and took a whack of big bags. Then each fish had their own bag, with their own water and I packed all the bags in a styrofoam cooler and caried that. Three hour move, 15 fish, no casulties.

fOx

Tony
07-22-2003, 11:07 PM
How far are you moving. If it is possible,and you should be friends with your lfs owner or dealer or have a friend who has a tank. Ask if you can transfer your fish in to there tank for a few days. Then you set-up your tank and go and pick up your fish when your tank is ready. Hope this helps..... Tony.:)

fOx
07-23-2003, 09:05 AM
The only problem with Tony's approach is your fish are extremely likely to get sick. The stress of a new environment + different water + new fish to be in contact with and unknown water quality (+ different additives etc.). I seen too many people try this approach only to end up with a tank full of ick (or worse). In fact two of the LFS out here won't help people in this way anymore because they have had problems with people coming back and complaining that their fish are all sick, yadda, yadda, yadda...

fOx

merlyn2221
07-23-2003, 10:45 AM
I agree with fOx. Too risky changing their environment and their water, too.

Keep as much of their own water as you can, that way you will greatly minimize extra stress to them.

KrisG23
08-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Hello All....Sorry it took me so long to post...I had a difficult time getting my internet set up at my new place.....However, the move went very well....no casualities.....thanks for all the helpful advice...

SGypsyMermaid
08-06-2003, 04:17 AM
excellent news! got space to set up more tanks?:sygypsy:

merlyn2221
08-06-2003, 09:09 AM
:D

Kris that is great! How is everyone adjusting?

And how did you eventually move the fish? I am interested to know what method you used for future reference.

KrisG23
08-06-2003, 12:52 PM
I used two large rubbermaid tubs, with the filter media in the tub, I also bought a power inverter, so that I could run my filters in the truck while I drove...it worked perfectly....And yes...I have plenty of room for new tanks....I'm currently looking into a 125 for my basement!!!!

merlyn2221
08-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Awesome!

*sigh* A 125 in the basement...

Wish I had a basement to have one! :)

Enjoy setting it up and stocking it!