PDA

View Full Version : plastic plant warning

Overawed
07-18-2003, 06:18 PM
a few of you have asked me about plastic plants bought from craft stores. I have this warning. Make sure the plants will not come apart!! Last night I walked into my fish room for a final night time inspection and found my Placidochromis "Barnabus" with a plastic plant stuck in his mouth. I quickly netted him and removed the object and promptly yanked all of the plants out of the tank. Barnabus is fine, but he would have died had I not rescued him.

Mbuniac
07-18-2003, 09:57 PM
OA,
Glad Barnabus is okay! I always put my plants (especially new ones) in one of those net zipper bags that are made for washing women's undies and stuff. Then I run it thru a delicate wash cycle in the washing machine "without any soap". I recently bought some of those plants that you don't stick in the substrate, but are held to the back glass by suction cups. When I took them out of the bag, they had almost disintegrated. Washing my regular plastic plants in the bag has little effect on them (other than getting them clean). I'm glad I never put them in the tank.