PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Cycle???

Mbuniac
07-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi All,
If I set up a brand new tank, with washed new sand and fill it with water from established tanks and use power filters that have been in use for quite a while (plenty of bacteria), will the tank still have to go thru the nitrogen cycle?
Man, did I make a paragraph out of that sentence or what?? :oops:
Thanks, Sam

SGypsyMermaid
07-17-2003, 06:50 PM
water from established tanks is not very useful, but sand/gravel, rocks, and filter media from established tanks will jump start the cycle in your new tank...it will still take a while for the bacteria levels to increase to the amount that you need but you can speed up the process a lot this way.

chc
07-17-2003, 07:59 PM
It will still have to cycle, but as said above the time will be shortened. Too bad you couldn't get a "used" gravel bed.

Mbuniac
07-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Would it help if I took a little bit of sand out of each of my other established tanks and mixed it with the new sand? So approx. 25% of the sand would be from my other tanks.
Thanks, Sam

SGypsyMermaid
07-17-2003, 09:35 PM
yes, it would.

Mbuniac
07-17-2003, 09:43 PM
How much?

SGypsyMermaid
07-18-2003, 07:05 AM
i can't answer that. there are too many variables involved. if you can wait, get a large sponge filter, place it in an established tank, and leave it for a couple of weeks, then when you set up the new tank with fish, place the sponge filter in the new tank and go from there. just keep a close watch on water parameters and do water changes as necessary.

Mbuniac
07-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Oh, okay! I thought we were trying to see who could communicate with the fewest words. Sort of like, "I can name that tune in two notes"!:D
Specifically, the tank is 55 gal and I will be using two Whisper 60 power filters that have been in use for at least six months. Eventually I will add a smaller canister filter. Don't know if that makes my situation more clear. Thanks Gypsy and chc for your input.
Sam