PDA

View Full Version : Plants/filtration?

cichniss
12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi, I was wondering if having a planted aquarium would provide some means of filtration? And also what cichlids would be reluctant to eat them or mess them up.Thanks in advance.

cichgirl
12-18-2006, 09:01 PM
You still need mechanical & biological filtration. The plants will take care of some of the nitrate but not all so you'll still have to get into a water change schedule.

Have you thought of Bolivian Rams? I know a couple of people who have kept them in a planted tank and it worked out well for them. They'll nibble & tear but they aren't nearly as destructive as many other cichlids.

cichniss
12-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Are Jags destructive to aquatic foliage.And yes i will still mantain the machanical and biological filtration systems in the tank. Also will the plants grow in aquarium gravel?

Glaive
12-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Jags are destructive period. ;)

Most plants do fairly well with aquarium gravel and they will help improve upon filtration.

Josh84
12-19-2006, 12:45 PM
jags, oscars, cons, firemouths, jacks, in my experience are tank re arrangers, They will put everything were they want it and how they want it. So i wouldnt reccomend them with plants.

Sam Chicklets
12-19-2006, 11:15 PM
What else do you have in the tank, and how large is your tank? Ther are several dwarfs that work in a planted tank or even thrive. Apistogrammas are one, also Angel fish are good with plants.

cichniss
12-23-2006, 12:19 PM
I am yet to setup the tank,but it is 80g and the fish are 1-2 jaguars.