PDA

View Full Version : trying new method on reintroducing a beat up cichlid

Sinful
12-18-2006, 04:53 PM
do you guys think this will work? about 2 months ago I had a cichlid that was getting killed by another cichlid so I removed him from the tank, you might have read my thread about it. Well, after 2 months I tried to put him back in the tank and the same cichlid that was trying to kill him before, went straight for him, so I had to remove him again because he acted like he wouldn't even defend himself. I'm sick of having this little 5 gallon hospital tank so I am trying a new approach in adding him back in the big 75g tank. I took out everything, all the rocks and plants, turned off all the lights, and removed the fish that was the instigator. so now my hospital tank has turned into a jail, housing the mean fish.

In addition to the swap I'm doing a water change to kinda stir them all up. It's so weird b/c the fish causing all the problems is the smallest fish in the tank. Anyway, do you think if I add all the rocks back in after the water change and leave the bad one in jail for the night, he will be ok to add tomorrow? you can tell he is PISSED being in the little 5g jail. He is only about 2inch

AndrewDru
12-18-2006, 05:16 PM
might work. but i would think it would work better if u have the bad fish in the 75gl with the beat up one with no rocks at all for a few days, as the bad fish might tollorate the beat up one more if he hasent got anything to defend, and will get used to him in the tank before u put the rocks in and they start to make terratory's it has always works for me.
If there are no rocks the fish just seem to swim about with each other as they dont have a rock or a cave to fight over or defend. this has always worked in the past for me when new fish have been getten beat up,

Sinful
12-18-2006, 05:20 PM
ok I see what your saying, I might try that. The problem is that even though there aren't any rocks in the tank the bad fish still goes up to the other one and always tries to nip at his fins, and the good fish doesn't seem to defend himself. I was wanting to maybe get the good fish to the point where he feels comfortable back in the tank to atleast defend himself somewhat, he is about twice the size of the bad fish..lol

Jeto
12-18-2006, 06:37 PM
the bad fish has already staked his territory.
unless you lose all the territories, that bad fish will be mean...

you're idea might work as, everyone will start from scratch.

share with you an experience.
I had a mean kenyi once. never tolerated anyone going near his rock. What I did was, removed the kenyi to a "jail" tank if you will, for 3-4 days.

those 3-4 days, based on my observation was the happiest days of the others in that tank.
When I returned the bad kenyi, he was never the same again. Lost his rank in the hierarchy. getting bullied by the smaller fishes. He was treated as a new comer.

I had to rearrange the tank again just to give him equal footing but alas, no dice....he just wasn't the same...

LuckyCricketMafia
12-18-2006, 07:15 PM
I had a problem with a red zebra taking over half of the tank. I took him out and rearranged and added more rocks, after being alone for a few days I added him and everything has been fine.

Sinful
12-18-2006, 07:24 PM
ok cool deal then, you suggest I leave the bad one out for a day or so in the jail tank by himself? Should I leave all the rocks out of the main tank when I put him back in or should they already be set up and have him as the newbie?

LuckyCricketMafia
12-18-2006, 11:11 PM
I would set them back up, if the others have time to develop new territory before you introduce the one causing trouble, he will have less of a chance to pick on anyone. What size tank is it? If there is not enough space for everyone, you may be out of luck.

Sinful
12-20-2006, 11:16 PM
welp I waited a couple days to put the trouble maker back in to see if it would settle him down, didn't work. He went staright for the other one. It was difficult to catch him again, but I did and I gave him to the LFS. Tank seems to be alot happier now.

RustyNut
12-21-2006, 01:10 AM
Sometimes that is all you can do.....

kay-bee
12-21-2006, 07:35 AM
It appears the dominant fish has no problem specifically targeting the weaker fish and continuosuly harassing it.

How many cichlids are in the tank and of what species?

SGypsyMermaid
01-04-2007, 10:13 AM
yes, i particularly wanted to know the species of the nasty little cuss.