PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon tank

onthebrinks
07-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Just got a 75 gallon tank and I am moving my Jack and a firemouth from my 25 gallon tank. They are about the same size now, about 4 inches, will the jack eat the fire mouth at some point? What are the best cichlids to keep with a Jack?

onthebrinks
07-15-2003, 11:29 PM
I wrote firemouth, I meant pink convict.

Chet
07-16-2003, 08:18 AM
No, the jack should not eat the convict, especially if they are the same size now. Convicts can hold their own with most larger cichlids. What tankmates are best for your jack depends on its demenor. Some jacks are quite aggressive, but others, like mine, are very shy and passive. Are their any particular fish you would like to keep with the jack?

RedDeviL
07-16-2003, 09:18 AM
I keep my jack with a tiger oscar and a few tinfoil barbs hes about 5 inches and my oscar is around tin foils are about 5" and i havent had a problem yet my jack is aggressive when ppl go in his lil spot under the plants but besides that hes fine...btw they are in a 65 gallon tank :)

Only fish i have problem with right now is a Midas in a 40 thats about 4 inches waiting for my other 55 to move him..

onthebrinks
07-16-2003, 09:51 AM
As far as other cichlids go, I am looking at getting a few more varying convicts and a few fire mouths. But the real quetion is what non cichlids can fit with a Jack. Other than bottom feeders the only thing I have seen in with it are tiger barbs.

Chet
07-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Well, I had blue and gold gouramis, a snakeskin gourami, giant danios, and yoyo loaches in with my jack and my green terror. The only thing I have had a problem with the were some platies, which the jack insisted on eating...big suprise.

I would suggest male gold gouramis and giant danios. Leave out the tiger barbs. Don't get too many convicts in there. They will breed and can get quite aggressive in protecting their young. You want there to be ample space for them to avoid you jack and for your jack to avoid them. That probably puts you at a maximum of two pairs.

onthebrinks
07-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Any advice on how to move the fish? This is the first time I have had to move fish from one tank to another that weren't small tetra types. Should I just net them and put them in the new tank? Is thier any adjustment need even if the water (temp, ph ext) is the same?

Chet
07-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Just be careful netting them. Try not to spook them too bad if you can. Larger fish are more capable of hurting themselves. Just net the fish gently and move it directly to the new tank. As long as the water parameters are roughly the same, you should be fine. Has the new tank cycled? If not, you should add a few of the smaller tankmates before hand and give the tank a week or two to cycle. If you can, you should move your filter from the old tank over to the new tank when you move the jack. That will bring a large colony of bacteria in and help the tank to support the larger fish load.

onthebrinks
07-18-2003, 01:31 PM
I want to know what the best filter setup is? My friend had a 75 gallon with 2 Emperor 400s and the thing was spotless all the time and he changed out 20% of the water every two weeks. I have just the one filter. Do I need a second. The Money is no issue.

onthebrinks
07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
One Emperor 400

Chet
07-18-2003, 01:36 PM
2 emperor 400s would be much better. Not only will you turn the tank water over about 10 times per hour, which is a recommended rate, but if one filter gets clogged or fails for some reason, you will have another filter to back you up until you can resolve the issue.

onthebrinks
07-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Hey Chet, what kind of bottom feeders do you keep in your tank? I have had no problems with my pleco, but my convict and Jack had a problem with my panda corys (3") in the 25 gallon. I have moved the pleco, but I am relucant to move the corys to the 75. Just a few weeks prior I lost one to an attack. Its not that I mind losing corys because I don't, I just want to know what goes best other than loaches. Also, my convict has killed other corys in the past.

Chet
07-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeah, the corys are a little too small and fragile to handle the aggression of you convicts. You can try yoyo loaches or clown loaches. You can also use raphael cats or pictus cats. Keep in mind with the loaches and the pictus, they are scaless fish and are much more susceptible to ich and are not as hardy when it comes to medication. At the same time, my yoyo loaches are some of my favorite fish. If you get loaches or pictus, get atleast three as they are gregarious and appreciate each others company. A commom pleco will do a pretty good job by itself keeping the tank free of algae and excess food, but when it gets larger it will produce a lot of waste itself.