PDA

View Full Version : Fx5

jrrlbds
12-10-2006, 09:43 PM
i bought one of these and it should be here on tuesday.
i got it really early so i could seed it really good. im not getting my 125 tank until right after the new year because im leaving town.

well, i've never had a canister filter before so i dont know what to put in it. i know that i want to use it for biological and mechanical filtration.
it comes with sponges i do know that. what is the best bio media???

the best mechanical media??

RustyNut
12-11-2006, 07:59 AM
The Bio-max is about the best stuff in a canister... cheapo lava rocks are also good, but less uniform.... You'll need almost 6liters of media to fill that sucker! Actually, I would put some crush coral into the bottom basket for a buffer and the bio-max in all the others (unless you plan to use carbon/purigen/etc.)

You'll have to report in on that filter once you get it working since its fairly new and I don't many people here have any experience with it. LOOKS to be a great filter.... has everything seemingly.... so an actual test drive will help fill in the gaps for other potential buyers.

balton777
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Jrrlbds I have a Fluval FX5 and it rocks. I don't buy the FX5 filter pads or polishers though. I cut my own filter pads from stuff I get at the Home Depot. At Walmart you can buy water polisher substitute in the crafts section and cut it to size for a fraction of the price you pay for LFS material. I bought a couple of packs of quilt stuffing on clearance for a couple of dollars each, enough to last me for 20 years. The only thing I paid heavily for was the biological rings but you can also cheaply get lava rock or another substitute. I've been cleaning the filter about once a month and every time I take it apart, I think to myself "why did I do this so soon, it could have went for another month". It's wonderful, you'll love it.

jrrlbds
12-11-2006, 04:14 PM
balton how much rings to fill?? (is that the same as bio-max?)
whats water polisher subsitute?
and what stuff at home depot do you buy??

balton777
12-12-2006, 12:33 AM
For water polishing material I buy Poly-fil Low-Loft Batting. (quilt stuffing) You'll find it in the crafts section at Walmart. It's 100% non-allergenic polyester. It's exactly like the bulk stuff you can buy at the lfs but you get about 50 times more and for less money. I cut it to size and use it in my canisters and hob's. Been using it for quite awhile and it's been safe so far too so no worries. I bought some untreated non toxic sponge material at Home Depot thats inexpensive and reusable. And yeah I've got the Fluval bio-max rings mixed with Rena bio-chem stars. I fill the bottom basket half full of bio-max/bio-chem and use water polishing material to the top. The bottom basket is the last basket the water flows thru before returning to the tank.

cichlidpower
12-12-2006, 06:46 PM
get some ceramic beads too. they increase the surface area of the other media

jrrlbds
12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
:yikes: ahhh, balton!!! i need your help! the trashcan wont fit under my aquarium. so i would have to put it to the side (temporarily just to get it seeded). is this ok? is says in the manual "for best performance place directly under aquarium"

if not, is there any other way to seed such a huge amount of media?

canisters i think are a little out of my technoligical range?? LOL. i cant even get the lid off :0

well i got quilt stuffing and some other brand of rings. there were cheaper. they look kinda big though. and the thing says super porous

jrrlbds
12-13-2006, 07:01 PM
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/jrrlbds/biomediapic.jpg

this is what i got. think ill be alright?

Glaive
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
The media looks good and running it to the side should be fine.

jrrlbds
12-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Glaive to the rescue!!!!! :cape: thanks

balton777
12-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks Glaive.

jrrlbds did you get my PM? Let me know if you need any help.