PDA

View Full Version : Seeking filtration suggestions for new setup (cont from Beginner's Forum)

kitszoo
07-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Well, I've done the inventory and made pass one on cleaning this stuff up. Unfortunately in the box was also a glass fish bowl (for like gold fishes) and it had broke and I naturally (being oh so graceful and all) stepped on a small piece. Bled all over my white linoleum. *SIGH*

Anyway, on to the good stuff.

Stand is in primo condition, just needs a good scrubbing with some wood cleaner.

Tank is of course gone, but I measured (just to make sure friend remembered right) and it's 13"w x 49"l so it is the 55gallon (or 40 long if I could find one). Which, I can not. :P But, petsmart has a 55 gallon w/light fixture that I'll prolly go get.

Assorted plastic plants, a couple of cheesy castles and a boat, Mongo amounts of tubing, air valves, etc.

Two air pumps. One is a "pen-plex xp-440", the other is a "perfecto 900". Both work.

One filter, a small "second nature whisper power filter junor". It also works. I think it's way too small though.

So, I need to go get the tank (which I'm not sure is gonna fit in my compact car) and I'm thinking some more filtration. Suggestions welcome!

Thank you folks!!

Mbuniac
07-13-2003, 12:54 AM
IMHO you should use a canister filter. It works on the same principal as a power filter, but it is away from the tank and can usually be placed inside your stand or on the floor. Also you can use numerous different types of filter media (your choice). My preference is the Rena Filstar. I have two XP3's and really like the ease of cleaning! Most of the major brands are good, I see a lot of folks here using the Eheim brand. Do some research on sites like bigals.com, thatfishplace.com, petsolutions.com, etc. and decide for yourself which one best suits your needs. Hope this helps. LOL.
Sam

Freddy J
07-13-2003, 04:48 AM
I'd go with Marinelands Emperor. 400gph, duel filters, two bio-wheels, cartridges for filter media, reduced flow for feeding, ease of operation. About $45.00 online.

chc
07-13-2003, 03:03 PM
As far as canisters go, Eheims are generally accepted as the best. The quality level of them is outstanding (many an older aquarists has a fifteen or twenty year old Eheim still operating). Fluvals are a solid second choice and much cheaper....... but the filter is the heart of the tank...

Still, depending on the fish you intend to keep, I'd suggest, as does the writer above, the Emperor filters. On a 55, you could fit two 400's. They are extremely flexible and easy to use. Lot's of ways to modify them also.

aharris
07-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Another good choice for filtration is the AC 500. They move water like crazy, and they have lots of space for media and you can use whatever you choose although they do offer pre-sized sponges and carbon inserts.

merlyn2221
07-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Run two filters, especially if you plan on really stocking the tank.
On my 55g I use the Emperor 400 and a Fluval 404. The Fluval is cheaper than the Eheim and has the same capacity. Plus it's a breeze to clean and stock with media.

matt1066
07-14-2003, 07:16 PM
I would start with the Emperor 400, and then add a cannister later. The next time zi get another cannister I am going to try the Via-Aqua, more GPH as opposed to others, also very large media trays. Also had a good report from someone on this Forum. Don't remember who though. I have an Eheim 2215 for the past 10 years and it is still going great. aslo have a Magnom -Pro with biowheels. It has worked well for me, however I know people who dislike the Magnums.

Try to get a combo that turns your entire tank volume about 10X's per hour, that would be a good target.

Best of luck,

Matt

chc
07-16-2003, 06:59 PM
I just don't understand what the affinity for canisters coupled with Emperors is............. two of either would seem simpler than one of each.

Neither works any better than another if maintained correctly, but I just think HOB's are easier for the average person to manage (and they move more water.

With Python changers, etc., it is so easy to get rid of water each week that filters are becoming less and less critical. Ever see what professional breeders use?........ Sponges.

matt1066
07-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Yes chc,

Your kinda right, I use cannisters because that is what I grew up on-old habits die hard. I still love cannisters though. I use it mainly for chemical filtration-the way I pack it, I only have to change it every 3 months, so it work for me. keeps a constant and significant bio-filter going, I do %90 water changes every week via a Python.

If everyone used the same method of filtration we would have nothing, well maybe not nothing; to talk about.

Part is marketing hype too.

Regards,

Matt:)

Mbuniac
07-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Matt,
You do 90% water changes weekly??? Isn't that a bit too much?
Sam

SGypsyMermaid
07-20-2003, 07:41 AM
never too much!

matt1066
07-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi Sam and SGM,

No 90% works well for my Malawis, I have it down to a science.

If I am going to change 50%, why not 90% no more work really.

One of the reasons it works for me is because I have a cannister that has a great deal of boilogocal filtering capacity, I also have 2 power heads on the 125g with sponge pre-filters.

My 55g has a bio-wheel set-up along with a Supreme Superking(can't get them anywhere.

In any case it keeps my nitrates down to 12.5ppm or less.

Regards,

Matt

seamonkey
07-22-2003, 12:27 AM
go on e bay and start shopping. I got two emp... penguin 330's and a 250 watt ebo jagar for under 65 bucks with shipping.. all band new for my 55 gal