PDA

View Full Version : algae proofing an aquaclear

Matt V
12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
anybody else have issues with algae growing in those things? i have gianormous windows and there isn't a shady part of the house. they get clogged every couple months and the dumb things are transparent.

anybody ever painted their aquaclear black or done something to keep the sunlight out of them?

LoJack
12-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Nope but I bet it would work. I only have the problem of algae growing on the inside of the intake tubes ... and I can't get to it with my finger lol

Matt V
12-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by LoJack
I only have the problem of algae growing on the inside of the intake tubes ... and I can't get to it with my finger lol

yeah, i've got that one, too. i bought a thing that people use to clean champagne flutes that sorta kinda works.

i should post a picture of my living space - a converted loft. perfect floors and layout for fishtanks, but the windows face southwest and they're about 15 feet tall and let in a ridiculous amount of light even when the blinds are closed.

on the upside, i don't need to light my tanks very much. :)

DogWalker
12-05-2006, 04:57 PM
How about tape? That way you don't need to take them out of the tank, wait for paint to dry, worry about keeping the media colonized etc. I'll bet duct tape would be effective. Masking tape would still let some light through...

RustyNut
12-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I think a cardboard cover would work. Maybe an old shoebox cut down to fit the top, back, and sides...

For the intake tubes try baby bottle brushes.... they work great!

cichlidpower
12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
for some reason, I never have algae problems. even without algae eaters

Matt V
12-05-2006, 11:39 PM
well, these are my windows - and there are 3 more sets just like those 2. light everywhere. there is nowhere to put a tank that doesn't receive direct sunlight for at least 6 hours/day in the winter. forget it in the summer.

i'm getting obsessed with ways to keep algae at a minimum.

Matt V
12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by RustyNut
For the intake tubes try baby bottle brushes.... they work great!

yeah... those are what i was thinking of! they do work wonders!

RustyNut
12-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Let there be Light! :rofl:

cichlidpower
12-06-2006, 02:06 PM
good one!! lol

Glaive
12-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Wow Matt cleaned his tanks for the picture. ;)

I personally liked the look of all that green in your tanks. However you may be able to work some magic with black plastic and a little silicone.

Matt V
12-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Glaive
Wow Matt cleaned his tanks for the picture. ;)

I personally liked the look of all that green in your tanks. However you may be able to work some magic with black plastic and a little silicone.

actually, i didn't. i think that was right after the move-in, so no algae had grown yet. :rolleyes:

i like the green, too, but not when it gets in the way of my filtration.

firefish
02-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I know this thread is a little older, but I wanted to wait until my little experiment had ample time to be validated. I have the same problem with an aquaclear in the tank in my bedroom.

The only location for it puts a window that shines morning sun right into side where the tank hangs (thanks to the precut opening in the hood)

I have found success in using that window tinting film. I got mine at Lowe's in the blinds aisle, but I'm sure others sell it. I basically tinted the window end to reduce UV penetration of the glass and I while I still have an issue, it is dramatically less then it used to be.

RustyNut
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
You tinted the windows or the filter?

firefish
02-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Wife wouldn't go for tinting the windows for MY hobby. I settled for tinting the side of the tank that the sun comes in through. So far so good, but of course I probably just jinxed it!

Wannabe
03-02-2007, 03:25 AM
You know, they do sell blinds that block out the sun and they work wonders. I know because I used to work grave shift and the sun would stream into my bedroom without them.

OR...

You could paint the intakes, filters, whatever with Krylon Fusion paint (sold at any Home Depot). Yes, you'd have to let them cure BUT you can leave your established filter media in the tank so you won't have to worry about killing off any bene bacteria.

OR...

You can get a second filter and rotate painting them and still use the established media.

HTH

N.TexasCichlid
04-06-2007, 09:48 AM
window film cuts out heat and glare. It reduces light transmission coming through the glass