PDA

View Full Version : Water Conditioner

MisterW
12-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi Everyone, I would like to know what kind of water conditioner do you use and how you like it? I just picked up a couple pounds of Cloram X powder and want to know what others are using and how this compares.
FYI......I figured that it will cost me 0.36 cents to condition a gallon of tap water using the Cloram X :D

Thanks

RustyNut
12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Prime....

jrrlbds
12-04-2006, 05:45 PM
NovAqua+

maxi
12-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't use none :)

balton777
12-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I recently switched to API. For $7.99 it will treat 2.365 gallons of water. At those figures, it costs me only .003 cents per gallon. Yes, one penny treats just over 3 gallons. Are you sure you've done you math right?

ATG204
12-06-2006, 08:04 AM
I'll second Prime, it needs no explanation, just go buy it :razz:

spifff2003
12-06-2006, 08:49 AM
i'm kinda old school so i just use the same things i;ve been using for years stress coat and stresszime

cichlidpower
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM
same, stress coat all the way

MisterW
12-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by balton777
I recently switched to API. For $7.99 it will treat 2.365 gallons of water. At those figures, it costs me only .003 cents per gallon. Yes, one penny treats just over 3 gallons. Are you sure you've done you math right?

Hi Balton777,

I think I have done my math right......you state "it only costs me .003 cents per gallon" Using your figures that would be 3/1000 of a cent per gallon which would equate to less than 1/10 of a penny to treat 3 gallons. Now that is what I call economical! LOL. If you are going in dollars and not cents (which I assume you meant) than yes 1 penny would treat approx. 3 gallons.

I paid $12.50/pound for the Cloram X and one pound will treat approx. 3450 gallons.....if you take the extra price and take into consideration the higher treatment ability, it works out to the same. I do an average of 23 gallon water change 3 times/week and each water change costs me 8.4 cents.....or 0.084 dollars.

Thanks for your reply.

ATG204
12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
ok so i guess you've prompted me to give my explanation for liking Prime best, this is taken directly from Seachem's website, the manufacture of Prime. Can your water conditioner do all of this?

"Prime™ is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.Prime™ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime™ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

Sizes: 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2L, 4L, 20 L

DIRECTIONS: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL). This dose removes approximately 0.6 mg/L ammonia, 3 mg/L chloramine, or 4 mg/L chlorine. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

500 mL treats 5000 gallons*. More than any other de-chlorinator"

Let's say I change 20 gallons a week, that's 250 weeks of one water change per week....52 weeks in a year that's over 4 years of water conditioner in 500 ml bottle.

The only problem is I can't find a price on the 500ml size. I usually get the 250ml for 15 bucks.

MisterW
12-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by ATG204
ok so i guess you've prompted me to give my explanation for liking Prime best, this is taken directly from Seachem's website, the manufacture of Prime. Can your water conditioner do all of this?

"Prime™ is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.Prime™ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime™ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

Sizes: 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2L, 4L, 20 L

DIRECTIONS: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL). This dose removes approximately 0.6 mg/L ammonia, 3 mg/L chloramine, or 4 mg/L chlorine. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

Let's say I change 20 gallons a week, that's 250 weeks of one water change per week....52 weeks in a year that's over 4 years of water conditioner in 500 ml bottle.

The only problem is I can't find a price on the 500ml size. I usually get the 250ml for 15 bucks.

Thanks for your reply.

Here is what I have: ClorAm-XTM is a unique, dry powder, water conditioner that has been scientifically formulated to remove, and thereby detoxify, ammonia, chlorine and chloramines from water for use in all types of fish and aquatic invertebrate culture. ClorAm-XTM should be used (1) when conditioning new water for aquariums, tanks, ponds, and live-haul containers, (2) after or during water additions, (3) before adding new plants, invertebrates, fishes or amphibians to an existing aquarium, tank, or pond, and (4) to live-haul containers, during transportation of live fishes, amphibians, or aquatic invertebrates, to control and eliminate ammonia in the shipping water.

You state that you pay 15 bucks for the 250ml which treats 2500 gallons. If you break it down 1 penny of prime treats 1.6 gallons. With Cloram X 1 penny treats almost 3 gallons!

I did not start this thread to get into a peeing match with anyones beloved water conditioner......I just wanted to know if there are better/more economical water treatments available. For the majority of my fish-keeping time I have had the good fortune to use excellent ground water (well water) and only recently moved to where municipal (treated lake water) water is the only option and as such want to get to know my options. As such I will not skimp out on price if the product does a crappy job....but if the end result is the same why not go with the most economical option available.

Thanks again for your reply.

ATG204
12-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Not into peeing matches but we can go fisty cuffs if you like, :rofl: just playing.

I do understand you want the cheapest answer but as stated cheapest doesn't mean best.

I did find the price of a 500ml bottle, $20, http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18157/si1317496/cl0/seachemprime500ml

$20 dollars for over 4 years of 20 gallon water change per week for my 70 gallon tank. I don't even want to break it down to penny's because I would say that's worth while, adding all of the added features of Prime make it reign supreme....to me.

Although I don't know anything about the product you're using, if it satisfies you then that's all that matters. Was mostly posting this to anyone in general who's using conditioners that take bottle cap after bottle cap compared to a few drops of Prime.

MisterW
12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Not into peeing matches but we can go fisty cuffs if you like, :rofl: just playing.

I do understand you want the cheapest answer but as stated cheapest doesn't mean best.

I did find the price of a 500ml bottle, $20, http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18157/si1317496/cl0/seachemprime500ml

$20 dollars for over 4 years of 20 gallon water change per week for my 70 gallon tank. I don't even want to break it down to penny's because I would say that's worth while, adding all of the added features of Prime make it reign supreme....to me.

Although I don't know anything about the product you're using, if it satisfies you then that's all that matters. Was mostly posting this to anyone in general who's using conditioners that take bottle cap after bottle cap compared to a few drops of Prime.

Nothing like a good scrap......did too much of that when I was younger.....now arthritis has set in for both hands at the ripe old age of 35.

Very good point about the other bottle conditioners, that is partly the reason for this thread....I purchased a bottle of Aqua-plus for about $12 and it was empty after about a month! Hense the reason I went on a hunt for more economical conditioners.
I will get 150 water changes for $12.50 so I guess I am on par with others. Just wanted to make sure that I was not missing the boat with an amazing product that I was unaware of.

Cheers.

P.S. you only have a 70 gallon?......well I have a 90 gallon! :rofl2:

ATG204
12-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey, hey now, it's not the size that matters!

MisterW
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey, hey now, it's not the size that matters!

You keep telling yourself that........but if you have dance moves like this :dance: you should have no problems with the ladies.

ATG204
12-06-2006, 01:09 PM
oh yeah, the ladies love my moves. Just ask Balton :wink: :wink:

RobSplatF4
12-06-2006, 05:25 PM

I prefer to use Safe which is the powder form of prime made by seachem. The 50g treats 5000 gallons and I only paid $12.95, but it is somewhat hard to find sometimes.

balton777
12-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by MisterW
You keep telling yourself that........but if you have dance moves like this :dance: you should have no problems with the ladies.

oh yeah, the ladies love my moves. Just ask Balton :wink: :wink:

:rofl2: I seriously laughed out loud at that one K. :rofl2:

If you got moves with the ladies, you must like to go Against The Grain. :razz:

MisterW
12-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by balton777
:rofl2: I seriously laughed out loud at that one K. :rofl2:

If you got moves with the ladies, you must like to go Against The Grain. :razz:

O.K. I guess I assumed ATG was a guy.....must have been the fisty cuffs remark.....but I don't want to sound sexist.

To stay with the thread.....you say Prime Eh?

Glaive
12-06-2006, 06:43 PM
I use prime unless I notice a need for something like stress coat.

MisterW
12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Glaive
I use prime unless I notice a need for something like stress coat.

Glaive, what would necessitate the need for stress coat? I am guessing damaged fins? I do not want to sound sarcastic but I heard that these "coats" are a bit of a gimmick since health fish will secret their own protective layer. Again, I do not want to sound that I am questioning your judgement I just want to learn all I can regarding conditioners.

Thanks

Jeto
12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
how i wish prime is available here....
stress coat is available though but haven't had the need to use one.

I only use anti-chlorines.