PDA

View Full Version : temperature fluctuations

nick447923
11-30-2006, 09:44 AM
This is a two-part post:

1. I live in Oklahoma City and a severe cold front came through yesterday afternoon. I have a 55 gallon with a single 30-60 gallon heater. My thermostat in my apt. was at 65 degrees before I left for work. The outside temp went from 70 the previous day to 25 the next. My tank temp dropped from 78 to 72 in a period of nine hours. The fish seemed fine. What are some of the effects of rapid temperature changes?? Could it kill beneficial bacteria??

2. Interestingly, Over the last few weeks, as my 55 gal has become established, I have noticed that something is growing inside the output tube of my canister filter. It started out as very fine "brown specks" but now the inside of the entire tube is brown...I will post a pic when i get off work. Has anyone ever had this happen before?? What could it be? Algae?:confused:

Glaive
11-30-2006, 10:02 AM
1) 72 degrees is not too bad a drop over that period of time. I would consider picking up an extra 100 watt heater if the drop bothered you, though it would just be cheaper to keep the air temperature at around 70.

2) Diatoms.

RustyNut
12-01-2006, 12:09 AM
yeah that wasn't too bad... as glaive said, a second heater would stabilize things a lot more.

BillD
12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
It has been my experience that the inside of the hoses get a build up of slime/gunk that needs to be cleaned periodically.