PDA

View Full Version : What live foods do you suggest?

cichniss
11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Hello, i was wondering what would be good live foods for Gts and Cons. Also can i feed cons vegtable matter like peas or lettuce? Thanks for the info.

cichgirl
11-30-2006, 08:10 AM
bugs and mealworms are great for cons and gts. I would only do feeders if they can be swallowed whole otherwise your tank water quality will suffer.

Veggies are great. You'll need to either freeze or blanch them first. I wouldn't bother with lettuce. Instead try things like carrots, peas, & zucchini.

cichniss
11-30-2006, 07:30 PM
thanks cichgirl, so i cant feed fresh cut veggies? And exactly what types of bugs? can i just grab any old bug(of course that doesnt have any poisons on it)and throw it into the tank?Thanks.

cichgirl
11-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Crickets are the best, according to my jds... Pretty much any bug or spider I find in the house goes in the tanks. Of course we don't have much along the lines of venomous bugs or spiders here.

The freezing or blanching helps start breaking the starches down in the veggies so they are easier digested. I'm sure fresh peas (shelled) are fine, and raw zucchini, but as far as carrots and broccoli stems go, I throw them in a food processor with garlic and spinach and put them in a baggie, work them flat and freeze them. Then I just break a piece off at a time. I always throw raw cocktail shrimp in the mix for my carnivores.

cichniss
11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
cool, i appreciate your help.