PDA

View Full Version : Chip in glass tank, should I be worried?

Idealconcepts
11-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Ok, yesterday I traded a salt water guy some of my dead coral I had, for some power filters and a 36x15Wx17H glass tank (40gals I believe) 3/16 in thick glass. He filled the tank up and didn't leak but the chip has me worried. I have attached pix below. the walls did not have silicone on them so I plan on sealing all the inside joinsts with aquarium silicone to hopefully strengthen the tank and I am going to fill it and have it sit in the garage 3 or 4 days.

So my questions are is the 3/16in thick glass thick enough for a 17in tall tank?

From the pictures below and having the tank filled at his house should i be worried about a crack developing at the chip and the tank dumping water on the carpet? The tank will be used as a grow out/hospital/fry tank and will sit on the bottom of my home maid stand (on 3/4 in plywood amd 2x4's)

First picture is from the side.
Second is the front, and you can see the chip is half way past the thickness of the glass.

Thanks in advance.

Idealconcepts
11-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Here is a picture of the front.

Glaive
11-20-2006, 11:30 AM
That chip does not matter, if you are truly worried about it you may be able to clean it out and bolster it with an epoxy made for glass.

Idealconcepts
11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks Glaive. Now when you say clean it out are you refering to cleaning the chips out and filling the void with epoxy made for glass? Would this help prevent the glass from cracking? Any idea if this issimilar to what they do to windshields on cars that have chips?

RustyNut
11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that chip is fine....

Ya, clean out any debris and fill the void... it will help some... although I wouldn't even bother with that if it was mine.... I have a tank chipped very much the same except in the front view its chipped back to the inner part of the other pane... (Twice as deep) and I have no problems with it.

Although if it was a bigger tank I would consider the epoxy :)

Idealconcepts
11-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks RustyNut. Is 3/16inch thick glass thick enough for a 17 inch tall tank?

Glaive
11-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes it is, if you do go looking for an epoxy your best bet would an auto glass repair business. They might even be good to get an additional informed opinion.