PDA

View Full Version : Breeding male Maylandia Lombordoi Kenyi male and female Maylandia Esterae

sjeffers01
11-17-2006, 09:53 PM
I am a rookie and have done a lot of reading trying to do the right thing. I didn't realize that the little dance the male Maylandia Lombordoi Kenyi and the Maylandia Esterae would result in about 30 fry. I separated the female just in time and all of the fry survived. If they are both Maylandia's are the fry considered to be a crossbred? After I put the female back into the main tank, approximately 3 weeks later, I caught them breeding again. Why doesn't the male mate with the lombardoi female. The male is about 4 years old and the females were small when I purchased them together a year ago.

aharris
11-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Yes, the fry are hybrids. And even though they have the same genus name, they are from different species, so they fry are crossed and not properly one species or the other.

I don't know why he mates only with the estherae female. It could eb that she has dominated the lombardoi females to the point where they do not try to mate with the male. Perhaps you should remove her.

sjeffers01
11-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Thank you for your response. I will follow your advise. Now I have an excuse to get another tank and buy another female and male estherae.

suddencichlidaddict
11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
I iwsh mine would breed already. What is the dance that the male was doing, just curious if you could describe it.

sjeffers01
11-18-2006, 03:07 PM
I managed to capture them breeding on my digital video camera. I have a flat shelf rock that they use to lay the eggs. The male starts shimmying and circling around the female. The female lays her eggs as the male is shimmying and circling. She scopes them up in her mouth and goes for the spot on his anal fin because she thinks its an egg and he releases his sperm and the eggs get fertilized. There is a website that has information on breeding that you should check out. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/