PDA

View Full Version : african cichlids mind being alone?

Sinful
11-15-2006, 08:49 AM
I have an albino cichlid I had to remove from my large tank because he was almost killed by the others. It's been close to 2 months now and he has fully healed in my small hospital tank. He seems to be doing great in there and has built himself a little home in the rocks and whatnot. My question is, do they prefer not to be alone? I dont want to put him in the big tank b/c I'm sure they will continue to pick on him, but I dont want him to be a hermit in his single man cell tank....lol

Heyguy74
11-15-2006, 12:29 PM
I would reintroduce him. Try rearranging the tank before you reintroduce him. This way all the established territories are gone. Good Luck

RustyNut
11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
I find taking out rockwork/caves and then introducing the new fish before redoing the tank works better.

In extreme cases I've removed EVERYTHING from a tank and let it sit the rest of the day, introducing the harrased fish just after the lights go out. I then add the rockwork back the next day and that seems to resets all tempers and territories!

Sinful
11-15-2006, 08:24 PM
thanks for the advice guys, I'm actually just thinking about leaving him in the small hospital tank. I have him in a little 10g eclipse tank that I bought for him when the assault took place..lol. I kinda like him living on my computer desk. I'm just wondering if I should put another small one in there or algea eater or something to keep him company..lol

he has a nice little territory setup in this thing, works on his cave nonstop.

RustyNut
11-16-2006, 05:17 AM
Well, are you saying you want to keep him in there for life (10+ years)?? Sounds a bit cruel! Cichlids are social animals.....

Also, remember that fish kept by themselves for a long period can become hyper-aggressive and intolerant of other fish meaning they can never be re-introduced into a community without incident.

I definately wouldn't add anything to the tank, your fish will probably kill it. A 10g is just too small for long-term care. I would advise returning the outcast as described above.

AndrewDru
11-16-2006, 06:45 AM
ide reintroduce him afrter takeing all rocks decorations out and put them back 2 to 3 days after he goes back in. they tend to be alot more sociable when there isent a cave or pice of bog wood to fight over. so 2-3 days with nothing in there will give them all time to get used to your albino in the tank. if that doesent work ide trade it at yout LFS

Sinful
11-16-2006, 04:03 PM
cruel? lol, I just dont think he would want to go back in the 75g with a bunch of fish that tried to kill him.

blakrain
11-16-2006, 08:16 PM
part of their personality comes from being around other fish and that struggle for territory. I am not sure if that made sense but what I'm saying is that in the wild they encounter other fish even if they don't pal around together. I have a cople of fish with battle scars but they are doing fine and have carved out a niche on the pecking order and the interaction is fascination to watch. Their personalities are what make cichlids attractive.

Sinful
12-10-2006, 11:19 AM
well I just tried to reintroduce him to the main 75g tank. I took all the rocks out and instantly the other fish started attacking him. Within 5 min my little albino was loosing parts of his fins. I had to take him out again =/.

RustyNut
12-10-2006, 12:55 PM
????????

You added himn to an empty tank and they tried to kill him? That is odd.... it happens but rarely....

Sinful
12-10-2006, 01:17 PM
yep, they went straight for him, I wonder if they remembered him from when they attacked him previously. I really want to get rid of the tank he is currently in, It wasn't meant to be a long stay, but I felt so bad for him...he was lookin at me through the glass when they were pickin at him

Tor4AF
12-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Sinful,

My boyfriend had an albino like your own in a 29 gallon tank, he gave away all the other fishes and he left the albino alone and didn't want to give him up. Either ways, he had the albino for about 2 months straight and it just died on him. And everything was great with the water. We believed it died of loneliness. It used to look so sad and alone in the tank. Well i just wanted to let you know about our experience with a lonely albino.