PDA

View Full Version : How long to cycle a tank with an established filter?

bigfish333
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi everyone I'm going to try and cycle my new-to-me 135 gallon ASAP. I've got an aquaclear 402 powerhead/quickfilter running on my 75 that I'm going to use to cycle the 135. In the quickfilter there is a cartridge and some aquarium gravel. So I'm just wondering if I put this filter in the 135 and put 1 "serving" of fish food into it how long on average would this tank take to cycle? Is there anything else I can do (other than bio-spira cant get it here) to speed up the cycle? I'd rather not use any fish for this. Thanks

Jeto
11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
since the filter already has a bioload,
you can immediately put fish in your 135.

This is what I do if i'm getting a new tank. I always have an extra filter running somewhere that way, when a new tank comes, presto. put fish immediately

LoJack
11-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Jeto
since the filter already has a bioload,
you can immediately put fish in your 135.

This is what I do if i'm getting a new tank. I always have an extra filter running somewhere that way, when a new tank comes, presto. put fish immediately

Yup me too ...

SJLax23
09-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but I am doing something similar. How long should I let the secondary filter run in order to get a good amount of bacteria to adhere to the media (Bio Wheels in this case)?

RustyNut
09-18-2008, 02:33 PM
About a couple weeks should be enough....