PDA

View Full Version : Pool filter sand

Rudy
07-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Well I decided to try some in my new house in my tanks of course and man am I impressed.

I barely rinsed it as it almost comes completely dust free. I dumped it in my tank first a little at a time and then just let it all go. My powerheads, or filters did not take any in, it was great. It also seems to look better in my tanks. It is course and heavy.

Anyway Overawed is right on this stuff. It is far superior then play sand.

I also just picked up another 90 gallon from a garage sale.....Isn't moving great1

:razz:

Mbuniac
07-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Rudy,
Pool filter sand is usually #20 grit silica sand. Play sand is a little finer. I used the same thing in my 125 when I changed from gravel to sand. I kept my gravel just in case. After a couple of weeks I gave my gravel away. Sand is great! I did however smoke a couple of my power filters. If I had it to do all over again I would shut them off til I got it all in. glad ya like it.
Sam

Rudy
07-04-2003, 10:50 PM
I did however smoke a couple of my power filters

Has it happened since?

I had no problem. What brand of sand did you use? Mine was target

KrisG23
07-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Can you buy this stuff at any pool store??? I don't have a pool so I haven't the slightest idea. I am using play sand in my 20 gallon breeder tank...and it works good, although the flow from the power filter does stir it up and push it around a little.

Rudy
07-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Yup. You do buy it at a pool store. It was about $7 for a 55 pound bag. It is a more course sand so it may help quite a bit.

Chet
07-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Is it easier to clean than playsand? I have grown to hate the sand in my 29 because of all of the maintenance issues.

Rudy
07-08-2003, 03:24 PM
That is what I found Chet. I literally just put some in a 5 gallon pail and fillled it up and dumped it a couple times. No straining and no mess.

Overawed
07-08-2003, 09:14 PM
yours was easier than mine then Rudy, I am glad it worked out for ya!

KrisG23
07-08-2003, 09:28 PM
When you clean your tank and do your water changes, do you still use a gravel vacuum??? Thats what I use on my tank with the play sand...but I find that I am sucking up a lot of sand while I'm trying to clean it.

Rudy
07-09-2003, 08:10 AM
If you use a 24 inch tube it seems to suck up hardly any. Lately though I have not been using one. Just sucking up the poop directly with the hose.

Ow what do you mean? Easier to clean? What brand were ya using.

aharris
07-09-2003, 08:41 AM
I periodically get a lot of sand sucked up by accident, and since I vacuum every week, it adds up. I just keep a bag of sand on-hand a replace a little at a time.

slc,phenochilus
10-05-2003, 05:13 PM
This pool sand sounds great, I think I might try some does it come in different colors? what can I expect on color?

tom
10-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Depends on the supplier/sand itself. Most commonly I see beige colored silica, but it can be a bit lighter or darker.

Mbuniac
10-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Rudy,
I just noticed I somehow missed a question from you. No, it has not happened since I intially put the sand in. I have changed all of my tanks over and just kept the filters turned off til I got the sand in. I have rinsed it a bit more thoroughly than I did the first time too. Sorry.
Sam

Rudy
10-06-2003, 07:41 AM
No problem Mbuniac. Glad it is working out.

slc,phenochilus they seem to have it around here in a lot of colors. It is just called tahitian moon, or whatever and they sell it in fish store for 10x the price.
The stuff I have found in the pool stores are just el natural which is my favorite any way. If you want black or something I have mixed it with black before and it looks really good.

slc,phenochilus
10-08-2003, 03:52 PM
I just wanted to make sure it's not white or something I also want the natural look, I am going to check out my pool stores this weekend , my tanks is going to look great with sand can't wait to see the fish play with it.