PDA

View Full Version : Filtration

draugrnz
11-05-2006, 03:29 AM
Hey guys, i currently have a 70 gallon tank with only a fluval 204 filter atm, im looking at buying another filter in the next couple of days.

What are your guys oppinion of filter that isnt to expensive. I was looking at:

Jebo 508 Waterfall Style External Bio-Filter
980lph OR:

AquaClear Power Filter 70 (Previously 300)

will either of these do the trick?

davidtcb1
11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm having good luck with the Filstar XP canister series. Good prices on Drs. Foster and Smith usually.

LoJack
11-07-2006, 12:21 AM
between the two you listed, go with the AquaClear. Davids right about the Canisters ... the XP series has been getting great reviews, it has a tremendous turnover rate for a Canister ... and they are very reasonably priced.

draugrnz
11-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks guys for your help.

I've decided on going with
Aqua One CF1200 Canister Filter
Water turnover: 1200Lph
Suitable for freshwater aquariums of 200 to 400 litres, marine of up to 250 litres.

This with the fluval 204 should be plenty of water turnover for my 70g oscar tank....if you disagree please let me know.

I looked up the filters that you guys suggested and i agree, they do sound great. Only problem is i cant find many places at all in new zealand that stock them so making finding apropriate media difficult :(.

Cheers.

LoJack
11-07-2006, 02:15 AM
yup thats understandable. The filter you went with sounds just fine ... and it does sound like pretty good turnover. Make sure you keep up with your water changes ... I think (if I remember correctly) you want a minimum 10-15x turnover in an Oscar tank so keeping up on your maintenance is going to be quite important.

draugrnz
11-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by LoJack
yup thats understandable. The filter you went with sounds just fine ... and it does sound like pretty good turnover. Make sure you keep up with your water changes ... I think (if I remember correctly) you want a minimum 10-15x turnover in an Oscar tank so keeping up on your maintenance is going to be quite important.

Cheers i do a 25%-30% every week, is this enough to keep up with an oscar tank with my filtratiopn also?

LoJack
11-07-2006, 02:47 AM
I would go to either 50% a week, or do your 30% changes twice a week

Oscars are arguably the messiest freshwater fish to keep ... so you have to keep up on maintenance. Oscars are prone to Hole in the head disease if water conditions are not kept optimal

draugrnz
11-07-2006, 03:34 AM
with water changes and big tanks. Is there a faster way then using buckets with warmish water? My mate who breeds fish said he does cold water water changes all the time, would this effect the fish very much?

sweet thanks for all the help

Jeto
11-07-2006, 06:49 AM
good thing you did not go with the Jebo pump.
A lot of my friends had their most priced fishes fried by this brand.

2 menarambos, 1 F0 show quality pearsi, arowana, haitiensis. and others.

LoJack
11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by draugrnz
with water changes and big tanks. Is there a faster way then using buckets with warmish water? My mate who breeds fish said he does cold water water changes all the time, would this effect the fish very much?

sweet thanks for all the help

Yup, its called a python ... one of the greatest tools in the trade

If you search DIY Python on the forum ... you'll find some links. I put something together in the DIY forum a while back, they are easy to make, and they make life easy

DON'T add cold water directly to your tank ... it could potentially shock your fish ... try and match the temperatures as close as possible before adding the water

draugrnz
11-07-2006, 05:14 PM
jeto: lol hell yea im glad that i didnt also, i was a bit suspect of it anyway due to the fact there wasnt many around and didnt have high reviews. cheers

lojack: yea i got a python, need a longer 1 so i can drain it straight out the window, doing it by bucket loads takes a while lol.

I didnt think adding cold water was a good idea, which is why ive never done it.

Also ive changed my mind about which filter im getting its a:
Aqua One CF2200 AQUIS Canister Filter
2200lph

Buying it today, that with my other filter will be 10x the water turnover for my tank.....sso excited lol.

This filter hasnt been known to fry fish has it lol?

Thanks for all the help guys, exp. lojack cheers man