PDA

View Full Version : New pfs question

Tampa
11-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I will be moving 2 55 gallon tanks on 2 separate days. In the new setup I will be using pfs, butfor 'ease' and speed of move I will be using new pfs. If I buy the new pfs before I move and clean it, will it be okay if after cleaning I leave it for about a week to 10 days in one of those large green bags (the 30-35 gallon leaf or garbage bags)? I've been told that those bags when new are sterile. When I put the pfs in the new setup I plan on taking a few large cupfulls of the pfs from the existing tank for added bacteria. What are your opinions? Thanks

davidtcb1
11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I haven't done that personally, but I'd be a bit afraid of it IMO. Seems that the dampness of the sand in the bag would tend to mold/mildew and be potentially hazardous when added back into the tank. ???? If it were a day or two maybe, but I'd worry about more than a week.

LoJack
11-07-2006, 12:20 AM
the mold or mildew thing does kinda make sense. But once upon a time, I emptied a tank of sand ... and put it in a giant green storage bin that you can get at like Wal-mart and such ... and left the sand in the bin for like a month ... then I used it on another tank without any problems. Now that David brings up the mold aspect I guess it potentially could have been unsafe, but I never lost a single fish ... but thats just me