PDA

View Full Version : when to panic

Northernblades
10-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Ok
since moving back to BC, I have not been able to get my Nitrate "kits" to work

I have always had and use Aquarium pharm. and had great luck, good readings and easy to distinguish color scheems

often with my tank reeding 40-80 ppm before each change.

since comming home I have yet to see it clear 20 ppm eaven at end of week. but still do my water changes religiously.

I finaly had enough, and bought this craptacular nutreafin kit. first off I HATE IT. it is stupid. and the creator shoudl be.....

ok back on topic. it still consitantly reads 20 ish ppm (from 1 day after change to 5 dfays after change)

finaly after 5 days after change, I descided to take it to the pet store. needless to say. 20 ppm

I still do my changes. but feel compleatly blind? at what point to I panic?

I have roughly 120 "inch" of fish, in a 100 gallon tank (+ 20 gallon sump) and in calgary I should have been doign changes every 5 days) here I don;t read anything after a week.

perhaps calgary water had nitrates in it to begin with?
or is somethign in my watter buggerin up my tests? I have gotten same results with 2 A.P. kits, and 1 nutrafin (I think, since I can't actualy tell what the reeding is on this POS.

I descided to let it go 10 days, all my test are nominal, I will take a sample to the store in a day or 2. what gives.

ATG204
10-31-2006, 12:01 PM
my guess would be the drop in nitrates is from having all fresh water in your tank.

the nitrates slowly built up before which is why you saw the higher reading back in calgary.

my guess would be over time the same thing will happen to the new tank. which is why some people do water changes every week but every month they do one BIG water change.

i've had the same problem with my nitrates by doing little water changes every other day. by working in a 50% water change once a month i've seen the overall level drop.

hows the weather out there NB?

Northernblades
10-31-2006, 12:11 PM
wel huge snow fall, icey roads, -15'c right now (roughly... 5 to 10' F I think, winter just started. Unfortunatly we do not gat the vancouver weather

I generaly do 50-60% a week and don;t see too much of a build up. right now Iam seeing nothing at all. I guess I will give it some time.

SIlax
10-31-2006, 12:13 PM
NB where abouts in BC do you live......im from BC also. Didnt think there was any other BC breed and born people on this forum:P i could jst be blind and not see it on peoples profiles but dunno

LoJack
10-31-2006, 12:30 PM
as ATG knows by now ... we got about 20 cm of snow last night (6-7") Its great ... I know it won't stick but I'm so stoked for winter to come

as for something related to the post, do you have any live plants or any media that could be working as a nitrate sponge?

Northernblades
10-31-2006, 03:18 PM
do not believe I have any anarobic activitie. or plants. as things stand the algae is doing .. poorly

I still don;t get what is happening but I do not have the "intestinal fortitude" to stop doing changes till the test reads 40+. I just can't do it.

Northernblades
10-31-2006, 03:22 PM
and big difference from lower mainland, to the east kootenays

big difference

DogWalker
10-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Northernblades
I still don;t get what is happening but I do not have the "intestinal fortitude" to stop doing changes till the test reads 40+. I just can't do it.

Then don't... I'm unclear on the problem, is it that you don't trust the readings?? Or are you trying to maintain the nitrates within a certain range for the benefit of live plants? Who needs'em otherwise! I like to keep them in the 10-20 ppm range in my tanks - better than necessary perhaps, but that way skipping the occasional weekly water change (eg: due to a trip) is no concern.

I'd guess that until much sediment has accumulated in the substrate of a new setup it'll be easier to keep the readings low. Also, how's your stocking level - didn't you just lose a bunch of fish (sorry)?

Northernblades
11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
yeh, I lost 9 fish in the move, have replaced with 8 fish (sig. smaller)

I just use the test strips to descide how much water to pull.
no need doing 60% if the reedings are in the green.

my changes vary from 40-60% depending. I am a bucket brigader, so the difference is substancial.