PDA

View Full Version : Light fixtures/bulbs

matt1066
07-01-2003, 01:31 PM
I have a 125g with a 72" strip light (1 bulb). It is starting to fall apart.

I need to replace it and have been thinking of compact fluorescent fixtures. My question is first I don't know if I have an All-Glass tank or Perfecto. I think it is all glass. It has a seperator at the 36" mark. Do I need to get two 36" compacts? Not sure though if I want to spend the $ on compacts, as I have never used them, would you suggest them? Or should I just get two full hoods in which I would put my Powerglo's which I am quite fond of.

Sorry for the rambling-what would you suggest I do, money is a bit of an issue, however I could probably do the Compacts if you think it a wise investment.

The one topic that I am relativeley ignorant of is Lighting. Well I am ignorant on more topics than this in general, but lets say fish related ignorance:)

Thank you,

Matt

SGypsyMermaid
07-01-2003, 07:47 PM
you don't need compacts unless the tank has plants which require high light levels.

merlyn2221
07-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Hey Matt! You can get an industrial size (because of the length) flourescent fixtures like they sell at Home Depot and build some kind of casing around it yourself. I have two 36" on my 120, but I don't think it matters what brand hood or aquarium if you build the casing to fit.

chc
07-09-2003, 07:15 AM
I'd suggest one of the Coralife fixtures with the fans built-in. No need for the reef tank version (with the Actinic bulb in the back); the standard will do.

I had no choice but to get a Coralife since it was the only fixture short (height) enough to fit in my canopy (one of my tanks is a Dutch Aquarium System deal with the canopy, etc. attached). I really like the way that light performs. Also, the canopy it is in covers the tank, but the surface of the water is exposed to the lighting and the Coralife is enclosed and safe. And being in such a tight enclosed space (great design, huh?) overheating was a problem, so the fan on the fixture is a help.

matt1066
07-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Hi Merlyn,

I like the idea of going to Home Depot, but me building a housing, I don't know bout that. I am not the handiest person alive.

But I will check it out. Now for lighting; I like the powerglo's as they are a very bright white light. I have used other lights but they seem to be to far in the yellow/red spectrum.

What bulbs would you suggest. If I went for the Corallife which bulb would it be-I like the white to blue/white spectrum.

Thanks everyone,

Matt

Mbuniac
07-19-2003, 11:55 PM
Matt,
I am using a 48" shoplight with a Marine glo and a Power Glo behind my double 36" fluor. fixtures. I like the "Glo" lights too, but they don't work very well in a T12 fixture (shoplight). I think they are a T10, or maybe the pins are just closer together. In case you are not familiar with the "T" ratings, fluor. bulbs are rated in 1/8" increments. So a T12 would be 1 1/2", a T10 is 1 1/4" and so on. It even states in one of the catalogs, I think thatfishplace.com or Doctors Foster & Smith that they won't fit well. They do fit, but you have to fiddle with the bulbs a bit, like if you bump the fixture, etc. Hope that helps.
Sam

matt1066
07-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Yes Sam, it does help. And thanks.

Matt