PDA

View Full Version : problem emperor 400

schmecky
06-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Today I cleaned my 55g today and though I'd take apart the Emperor 400 and clean the impeller, intake, etc.

After scrubbing everything down I reassembled, and the impeller spins and shoots water out the spray bars, but it does not seem to be pulling any water from the intake (or it is not pulling hard enough.) I've taken apart and reassembled over and over, and I can't get it to work... The impeller appears to be undamaged (I could not identify any signs of wear), and I've only had this filter for about 6 months.

For testing I removed the intake pipe, and pointed the spray bars into the 400 (so it wouldn't empty) and the motor runs fine and quiet. I checked the intake tube for blockage and it appears fine.

I temporarily removed the intake pipe from the 400 and hooked up a length of hose to a powerhead and threaded it up into the 400 intake chamber. I turned on the 400 and the powerhead so the powerhead is feeding tank water into the filter and the motor in the 400 pumps water into the spray bars which are spinning the bio wheel so my bacteria colony won't die.

Any ideas?

merlyn2221
06-27-2003, 09:27 PM
I notice that when I clean my 400, if the impeller doesn't sit in the exact spot it needs to, it does the same thing to the filter.

Is it exactly positioned in the chamber and not sitting above the pin position?

And it isn't in upside down either, right? (Just had to ask!) :wink:

Otherwise it might be that the impeller has lost its magnetization. It sometimes happens when they are cleaned regularly. I had an impeller go bad on my AC 300 in the past because I cleaned it every time I cleaned the filter. Granted they do need to be cleaned, but scrubbing them too often must make them demagnetize. Once I put in a new one, the filter was fine again. I only rinse it off every so often now and have given up on scrubbing it clean.

schmecky
06-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Strangest thing - I just decided I'll try putting the intake tube in one last time, I put it in, turn it on, and voilla! it starts running perfectly.

Don't ask me, maybe I'm going nuts! :D

Now my next project will be refinishing the stand (in Oak) for my (new to me) used acrylic (150g) tank and building a sump & wet/dry for it. (it's a reef ready tank)

merlyn2221
06-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Glad it worked out. Sometimes I think the filters play with us! :)

chc
07-09-2003, 06:50 AM
Normally when you are cleaning out the Emperors the gray flow control level accidentally gets turned down (usually when you replace the cover) and there's no longer enough force to pull water. Always make sure that lever is at the highest possible position before restarting.

Remember, you can always keep the bio-flora alive on the biowheels by floating them in the tank (although the powerhead rigging you devised works just fine too).