PDA

View Full Version : fuzzy driftwood pt 2

ATG204
10-16-2006, 08:45 PM
i remember asking you guys about an issue i was having iwth my diftwood. a couple of months ago when i first bought it.

after soaking it and then placing it in the tank, it became "fuzzy"

today i took this piece of driftwood out, while doing a water change, by just running my finger nail along it a whole bunch of the wood just sloughed off...like mush, how fast does driftwood decompose? should i just scrub the junk off with a wire brush and continue to use it?

i always thought it took a couple of years to decompose....?

heres a pic...the piece in question is still "fuzzy"

am i unknowingly polluting the tank?

Glaive
10-16-2006, 09:21 PM
How are your nitrates?

ATG204
10-16-2006, 09:24 PM
within the 20-60ppm range depending

i do water changes every day to every other day as a couple of my fish have HITH....i'm starting to suspect this driftwood may be hindering their healing.

Glaive
10-16-2006, 09:46 PM
It may be, I was thinking if it was decomposing it would be kicking up the nitrates.

GaryR1984
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Looks like it might be becasue of the high nitrates. High nitrates normally casue for brown aglae.

star rider
10-30-2006, 01:15 PM
isn't brown algae actually diatom??
and I believe diatoms thrive in high silicate and high phosphates?

the fuzz could be algae as driftwood seems to be an algae magnet.

most of my driftwood seems to be a bit fuzzy from algae..algae tends to be problematic when the tank is imbalanced..is the tank planted with live plants?

ATG204
10-30-2006, 02:11 PM
nope, no plants.

never tested silicate or phosphates

i've done a couple of huge water changes/gave the wood a good scrubbin. all the "fuzz" is gone for now but it usually comes back after a month or two.

i can pick it up and get brown junk all over my hands. maybe i'll just have to soak it even longer....i presoaked for about 2 weeks....and its been underwater for months now....i was thinking i'll get a steel brush and take a whole layer off.

not too sure if its algae as i use a light very rarely, and no direct sunlight hits the tank. i've never had to clean the glass for algae in the whole 3-4 months that i've had it.

MisanthropeKitty
10-30-2006, 04:30 PM
isnt that just where the wood is rotting??? did i miss something? with the driftwood in my oscar tank i soaked it for around 3 months then before i put it in the tank i broke off any piece that would break if you understand me. I ended up with a substantially smaller piece of driftwood but at least its not rotting on me... i got it down to what i call the "hardwood" that isn't rotting. id definitely try the steel brush or just do what i did and rip the sh** out of it.

EDIT: I dont mean to come off as rude here so please dont take it that way. :D

LuckyCricketMafia
10-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I agree it sound like it is rotting to me, if it is not cured all the way it crumbles.

ATG204
10-30-2006, 08:30 PM
lol MKitty, good stuff....

after I soaked it i broke a bunch of it off. i've bashed it pretty hard and what not but this is HARD wood...which leaves me a little puzzled, usually rotting wood crumbles and is soft.

LCM - you're probably right, they probably never cured the wood properly so its going to slowly rot in my tank.

which explains why my nitrates have NEVER been low even when i do water changes every second bloody day for 3 months....

man, im just super frustrated by this because driftwood from the pet store isn't cheap. How in the world do i know if it's cured properly or not?

MisanthropeKitty
10-31-2006, 07:07 AM
oh man i dont know anything about buying it from the pet store for use... i just find some in the woods... and clean it and all... i would try the steel brush but other than that... is there some wood that will never cure?? lol maybe it is hopeless

LuckyCricketMafia
10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
R U sure it is a hard wood, I have only had issues with soft wood, or wood gotten from beach/lake ect. I would ask the pet store if they have had the same issue.

ATG204
10-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah I'll probably ask them next time i stop it. I'm most positive this wood is solid, i can't break it wiht my hands. It's malaysian driftwood from pet land and i bet they probably sell the most driftwood in town here. it looks good and from what i understand its "dependable"

yeah right, don't i feel like a sucker. live in a river city and buy rotting wood from the store :rolleyes:

MisanthropeKitty
11-01-2006, 07:22 AM
you should go for a walk lol tis what i do and just pick of sticks that look interesting bring them home and weight them down in my kiddie pool lol... i doubt i will even use half of what i got weighted in the pool now because i have three monster pieces of wood!! i thought malaysian driftwood was a common one for aquariums... i always see them for sell. maybe you just got a bad piece?

Sam Chicklets
11-19-2006, 09:48 AM
I use petrified wood in my aquariums or the plastic driftwood, neither one of them seem to give me any problems.