PDA

View Full Version : Need Help...

Acara
06-26-2003, 06:57 PM
For some reason 3 of my filters are making grinding noises and it has gotten me to the point where i am going to throw them away. This is now happening to my Penguin330 and to two of my regent 30-60 Filters... HOW CAN I FIX THIS?!?!
Acara

matt1066
06-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Regarding the penguin, it sounds like the impeller needs adjusting. Clean the magnet and the housing assembly. Penguin is usually very reliable. Is it pulling any water?

Never heard of Regent filters. You may wish to move this thread to the "Equipment and Water chemistry section, I would but don't know how. So if the Moderator doesnt catch this you might wish to re- post it.

Regards,

Matt

ReesaPie
06-26-2003, 07:37 PM
what are you useing for substrate?

Acara
06-26-2003, 10:07 PM
sand.. It sucks it up when a fish freaks out and kicks up sand and crushes in the impeller...

fOx
06-27-2003, 08:32 AM
That's where your grinding noise is coming in. Clean out the sand from the impeller shaft and then adjust your intakes so that they are higher up in the tank and can't suck up sand when the fish get frisky...

That's just my 0.02 cents with the little knowledge that I have of this. Hop it helps.

fOx

chc
06-27-2003, 07:01 PM
I get that noise sometimes when I restart (turn up) my Emperors after feeding. Invariably, something is in the impeller assembly which is keeping the motor from being able to pull water well. In my case, there's usually some java moss wrapped around the impeller.

Just clean out that assembly, fill the box with water, and restart.

ReesaPie
07-03-2003, 10:00 PM
i have sand in my tank as well. The way i have my rocks set up in the sand, works to protect my filters. i have two flat rocks, one beneath each of my filter intake tubes, and that seems to work well in keeping sand out. I haven't had a problem yet. Also besure to turn off the filters while cleaning or ajusting anything in the tank, and wait until everything is settled before turning them back on.

chc
07-09-2003, 07:17 AM
It also may help to cut a slot in a black (pond filter) sponge and insert it over the intake of your filter. You could use anything similar for this application (Aquaclear sponge, etc.) as long as it keeps the sand out of the impeller housing.

Mbuniac
07-20-2003, 12:01 AM
I thought I had ruined two of my penguin filters when I changed over from gravel to sand. All I had to do was remove the impeller and hose out all the sand in the housings and clean off the impellers. Now I know to turn them off when I'm cleaning!