PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right filters.

alex_j_pope
10-15-2006, 07:53 PM
I am in the process of setting up a 125 gallon tank and do not know what brand filter to get. I canít use a canister type. I need something that is very quite.

DogWalker
10-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Why can't you use a cannister? The better ones are about as quiet as filters get - quieter than the hang-on type ("HOBs") imo, and much quieter than wet-dry filters.

I've never owned the E-heim brand, but people who do swear they are the quietest of all. They are a bit more expensive than other brands. Depending on what you plan to keep in this tank and how heavily you want to stock, you may wish to consider using 2 of the larer ones (don't recall the model # - sorry).

Malachi
10-15-2006, 10:52 PM
I agree with Dogwalker, some Canisters can be silent if you keep the return spraybar below the water line. I used to have an old Fluval 203 and I could'nt even hear it run.
Im currently using 2 Penguin biowheel 350's and I'd exchange them from a canister any day.

RustyNut
10-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Canisters are the quietest filtes, so if you don't want a canister then you'll need a couple HOBs for that sized tank. I'd probably run 3 HOBs myself.... (2) Emporer 400's and an AC110 so I have more room for media....

davidtcb1
10-16-2006, 04:58 PM
I have two Filstar XP-3s on my 125 gallon African tank and so far, I love them. The tank's been up and running for a little over three months. They are super easy to clean and maintain and mine - knock on wood - are so quiet you have to touch them to even tell if they are running.