PDA

View Full Version : jumping firemouth

jrrlbds
10-12-2006, 05:36 PM
so i wake up and go downstairs to feed my fish...but i cant see my firemouth!! so i look around the tank...nope....no firemouth!!! so then i start lookin around on the floor and behind the aquarium. and bam!Theres my fish DEAD behind the aquarium, on the floor! he was about 3.5'' and im not sure if he was not infact maybe a she...but anyway...i have hob filters...so the cover doesnt reach all the way back to the end of the aquarium...so there lies my problem....but the gap is not that big so i didnt think i would have a problem...how can i prevent this from happening again? he was my favorite fish!!!! :bawl: his name was punch
oh and r firemouths prone to jumping?

ATG204
10-12-2006, 06:50 PM
not too sure how much firemouths like to jump but i lost my convict the same way. my krobia's are very jumpy as well. when i bought them, one pretty much flew out of the aquarium, it was amazing actually (until it hit the ground)

always always keep the lid or canopy over the tank, especially when doing water changes, don't walk away to fill up a bucket or something. i have some plastic strips that ikeep on the back where my filters aren't flowing (they kind of look like hot wheels tracks).....besides that there realy isn't too much you can do

balton777
10-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Sorry for your loss. I just posted the same thing last month regarding my Green Terror who jumped out that part where the HOB is. I've since taken the piece that goes on that part and cut it to fit the HOB but cover the rest. I would have never thought he'd jump out of that 2" space.

jrrlbds
10-12-2006, 07:42 PM
ya...i didnt think that gap would cause me any worries either...guess i was wrong :mad: well, ill have to think of something....thanx u guys....